Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music
Topic: Paperback Writers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2019 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

BBC radio 6 have a regular feature called Paperback Writers. It focusses on writers– they are asked to pick a shows worth (1hr or so) of music that inspires them. It’s usually played on a Sunday and it times just nicely when I do the washing up after Sunday dinner (oh for dishwasher!). Recently they have focussed attention of comic creators. Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Hannah Berry have featured over previous episodes. This week was Warren Ellis.
Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w8dx5/episodes/player

I know the creators are not popular with everyone on this board, but I’ve enjoyed it and thought it may be of interest to some here. So far it’s only been UK comic creators. They have featured other countries writers in the ‘standard writer’ show before though, so, although I’m happy to see comics in the mainstream, I think its shame they have only had British creators on this ‘Graphic Content’ segment. In my fantasy world I’d liked to have seen this extended. Imagine what music Steranko would come up with – formative years in the 40’s &50’s and then through his career into the 60s 70s - wow? I would have liked to see the music JB was into and what influences him now. Also what Frank Millar was listening to when he did dark knight etc?

Anyway it also got me thinking. Which songs would I pick if I had to produce a soundtrack my life or what I work to  I‘ve limited myself to five choices below:

A Man Named Sue – Johnny Cash - This was one I was fond of as a child. It was old then, bit my mum loved country and this one struck a note with me among all the stuff she played as I thought it was funny. If it wasn’t this, it would be Neil Diamond - Porcupine pie from the same time, for the same reason.

Killing in the name of – Rage against the Machine – Kind of an angry teen.

Spiritualised – Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space – I mellowed.

Shine on you crazy diamond – Pink Floyd – Reminds me of so much, including friends and family passed.

Dancing Queen – Abba. My first boy was born to this. It was playing in the hospital when it happened. Not sure why it was playing – it wasn’t our choice – I think it was just a radio broadcast? Through hours of labour; a crisis and an emergency caesarean to keep them both alive; “You can dance; you can jive; having the time of your life…” played, I looked down through fatigue ridden eyes, to see my wife’s blood on my hospital issue moccasins just before I heard him cry. A surreal and momentous moment of my life.

Five just is not enough! What are your five or so songs?

Edited by Ian David on 26 October 2019 at 7:07pm
Back to Top profile | search

Ian David
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2019 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Link is not working. Not sure that is just due to this forums formatting in this case. If not working google BBC paperback writers graphic content and you'll get there.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

LINK

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

5 songs as a soundtrack to my life:

Entrance to the world via the medium of birth: The Throne Room march from Star Wars
Young childhood: When I Need You by Leo Sayer. This was on a tape I got for my 7th birthday, so just reminds me a lot of living in the house I lived in for the first decade of my life. Pretty good tune for those lonely moments as well.
Finding my way in the world: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John. Reminds me of being at university, away from home for the first time. And one of my favourite songs to boot.
For every big achievement or victory in my life: the fourth movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony (Have a listen with this LINK)

And a fifth would be the tune I want played as they send me into the incinerator at the crematorium: a track called Hello Mr W.A.M. by Giorgio Moroder from the American Gigolo soundtrack, which is a kind of synthy/rock version of the adagio movement from Mozart's clarinet concerto.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Early childhood, She Loves You-The Beatles, apparently
the first words i spoke were the "Yeah, Yeah yeah"
chorus.

Teens, Rosale (The Cowgirl Song)-Thin Lizzy, owning
Live and Dangerous was compulsory in my group of
friends!

Vienna-Ultravox, my girlfriend bought me the album not
long after we started courting, she`s now my wife 38
years down the line!

Rush-Red Barchetta, i love Rush, and this has a good
story, and economic lyrics that convey the joy of
driving so well.This song encapsulates my middle age
years of buying RED cars!

Don`t Stop Me Now-Queen, an upbeat joyous song, always
makes me smile, and would be an amusing choice for a
funeral.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ian David
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks for fixing that link Peter.

Throne room march – Y - E - S!

When I need you is one I know but haven’t listened to for years – a lovely song.

I’m shamefully not that up on classical music. In my teens I was into rock and heavy music. Part of that attraction was the presence and power it has.Classical music can have that ‘presence’ - in spades.Mr Beethoven gets that right a lot! When I looked at that one from your post I recognisedit immediately, but wouldn’t have been able to name it (mean to work on that).

@ Bill. This is precisely why I raised this post. Listening to the choices of those creators in the BBC interviews I was aware they came from different backgrounds from me. There were a lot of cross overs, but it struck me that there was also distinct and different influences - a different outlook.I enjoyed that insight. Yours is the same, I’m well aware of the Beatles and QueenSongs, but Rush and Ultravox are names I know well without knowing too much about them. That Thin Lizzy song is completely new – I’ve only ever heard them on the radio so that limits my exposure to Boys are back in Town. I’ve enjoyed checking them out.

Edited to add missing spaces - think my space bar is on the blink.

Edited by Ian David on 26 October 2019 at 7:14pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 1:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ian, the Thin Lizzy song is a Bob Seger cover, but live
they added a bit of Their own Cowboy Song, it worked
really well.You may want to check out Thin Lizzy albums
from Jailbreak up to Black Rose, some cracking tunes on
them!
Regarding orchestras, i saw a version of ELO (minus Jeff
Lynne) playing with The Moscow Symphony Orchestra in the