Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The Omnibus of Steel! FINALLY! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brandon,

Interesting!! Thank you for the update.  I bet what is going on, since Bleeding Cool had "by JOHN BYRNE" in the name of the omnibus, is that that they have opted to drop the Wolfman/Ordway stuff.

Marc
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

DC really needs to quit cancelling or, in this case, changing their solicitations. I'm still glad we are getting this collection, but now it isn't over-sized (although admittedly the price point is a lot more attractive).

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DC went the opposite direction with a recently solicited Legion of Super-Heroes:Five Years Later hardcover. The $50 cover price hardcover was canceled and replaced with a $150 cover price omnibus!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Who the hell has the cash these days to buy these $125+ hardcover collections that Marvel and DC keep publishing? Just buy TPBs, probably at a discount through eBay or Amazon or wherever.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2019 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Adam, I buy some omnibuses. I own several, most of which are JB's stuff, (Alpha Flight, Avengers West Coast, FF, etc) and I definitely would've bought the Man of Steel one, just like I will be getting the 125 dollar She-Hulk by John Byrne omni that's coming out soon. The pros are you have a hardcover, hopefully well bound copy of a creator's entire run on a comic that also has over-sized art that is going to last a lifetime. The big draw for me is getting the art bigger than I ever have before. The cons are they are super bulky so not that easiest thing to read. And the paper tends to be shiny which doesn't bother me as much as it does some folks, but I do see their point. I only own a few omnis though, because, yes, they are quite pricey (though you can get them close to half-price on release from a few places online). My favorite line from Marvel is the Epic Collection one. They still aren't cheap at 40 bucks but have about 500 pages of content on non-shiny paper and they are paperbacks and thus easier to read that cover a character's entire history chronologically. They oddly release them out of order, but often collect stuff that hasn't been collected anywhere before. And like the omnis you can usually get them for close to half price on release at places like instocktrades or, sometimes, Amazon.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version