Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Contest Of Champions Q for JB Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mistake on my behalf, Mr. Byrne? Or a comment on how Chris Claremont set up Ororo's history? If it's my fault, please accept my apologies; I do not intend to aggravate, nor open old wounds.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Or a comment on how Chris Claremont set up Ororo's history?

••

That. Something Chris and Dave did long before I came onto the book. Something that not only took away the mysterious elements of Storm's past--never a good idea--but also tied her to a specific point in history. A point which would make her, now, the same age as me!!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hate to say it, sir, but she looks a little better. On the other hand, she can't draw a 100th as well as you, so that's something...

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Speaking of tied to a certain events, Magneto's Holocaust origin has got to be problematic. Even with the sliding time scale he must have been in in his 70s when he first met the X-Men! 

Edited by Mike Norris on 21 October 2019 at 5:22pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At this point, unless Magneto's mutant abilities include the power to age slowly,  his Holocaust origin will have to be rewritten.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Indeed. And he didn't look a day over 50, if that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Or IGNORED, Matt.

But we know that’s not possible as long as the inmates are running the asylum.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Comic events like Superman meeting JFK, the Thing and Torch getting Beatles wigs, Reed and Ben serving in WWII, the Punisher serving in Vietnam and the FF being the first to land on the moon have to be looked upon as topical reference (as Marvel used to refer to them in their indexes).

Other than Captain America being frozen in ice, Namor being long-lived and Nick Fury and a few of the SHIELD agents from WWII having access to the Infinity Formula, WWII characters should be left in WWII stories.

Certainly don't tie your heroes origin to a specific date/event in the past.  References to WWI, Vietnam, the USSR, the space race, Watergate, etc. are showing their age.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Odd thing is, fans and writers so often don't seem to realize how fast time passes--even as they often complain about it.

Tie a character to a specific event "just a few years ago", and look on in horror as that suddenly become fifteen, twenty, thirty years ago!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Speaking of tied to a certain events, Magneto's Holocaust origin has got to be problematic. Even with the sliding time scale he must have been in in his 70s when he first met the X-Men!

••

The excuse, there, was that Magneto had been turned into a baby at one point, and then aged back to a point younger than he had been before. Clumsy, yes, but for one brief moment it worked.

Of course, when they dragged his Holocaust origin into the movies, we ended up with the X-Men beating up on on old man.

(At the time, Bob Harras' wife commented that being a Holocaust survivor should be the origin of a hero, not a mass murdering villain.)

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Maybe it just hit me at the right time, but I enjoyed Contest of Champions when it came out, warts and all. At the time, apart from the team books you really didn't have the great big crossovers with a wide variety of heroes so something like this was fun. Even now, with the crossover events always being some world-ending event with loads of sturn und drang and a death or two, something like this still feels to me like a breath of fresh air when superheroes were fun. I liked the various international heroes and wasn't knowledgeable enough of Marvel's vast stable to figure out all the ones that were new to the mini vs. having appeared somewhere else prior.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Kids did tend to gravitate toward titles with the maximum number of characters. The most bang for their limited bucks!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version