Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Jay and Silent Bob: Reboot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JAY & SILENT BOB REBOOT non-spoiler review:

Fans of this duo and of Kevin Smith films in general will not be disappointed. Reboot has the broad, farcical humor that's mixed with some witty, if often sophomoric, dialogue that made "Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back" and "Mallrats" popular with fans, but it also has the heart of "Clerks, and "Chasing Amy."

Kevin Smith said that his partner Jason Mewes and his daughter Harley Quinn Smith did a great job in their roles, and I'd agree. It's more than a father's pride, or supporting his friend while promoting the new film. Jason and Harley do a great job with some emotional (yep, that's right...Jay gets emotional) scenes that are all the more poignant because most of us watching the scenes have followed the View Askweniverse (Smith's interconnect movie universe) since it began in 1994. The fans have grown to care about these characters, and this movie shows us a side to Jay we've truly never seen before.

My only real complaint isn't with the film itself, but the screening I went to see it at. The October 15 showing at the local AMC theater was part of Fathom promotions movie event, and there was supposed to be some special features after the credits. I think our theater forgot to show those features, because nothing was shown after the credits. Ah well, maybe they will come included on the video release.

The movie is also being shown October 17 at AMC, as part of a double feature with "Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back." After that date, the movie is going on a road show, mostly at major cities, with Smith and Mewes in attendance and answering questions at the showings.

If you are already a fan, I think you will enjoy the film. The humor is still strong, and the movie has a lot of heart to it, as well. If you aren't familiar with the movies, I suggest checking out "Clerks," "Mallrats, "Chasing Amy," "Dogma," "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back," and "Clerks 2," and then check out this film for maximum effect, and to get all the references. But if you only see two films beforehand, I'd go with "Clerks" and "Strikes Back," as they will get you the basics you need to go into "Reboot."

Edit to add: Oh, and there's a heartwarming Stan Lee cameo, or sorts, too.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 15 October 2019 at 9:31pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really enjoy The Fatman Beyond podcast and like many of the 90s grew up on Kevin Smith movies but I stopped caring about these movies awhile ago I thought Clerks 2 was awful.

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I couldn't go last night and I'm too old to sit through the double feature tonight, so I guess I'll have to wait on this one, but I'd like to see it.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm not really a fan of post-Pot Kevin Smith, but I may see it when it gets to the cheap theaters to see if it can skate on nostalgia alone.  There was a time when I was fully invested in the View-Askewnaverse, but he's made a string of utter crap the last few years.

I met Mewes when he was shooting a movie here. Ironically, he's the clean one now. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I haven't been a fan of post-pot Kevin Smith, either. Of course, the characters of Jay and Silent Bob have always been stoners, but once Seth Rogan got Smith hooked on the weed for real, he mostly hasn't been that good of a storyteller as he once was. That noted, I think he is back in good form with REBOOT. If you enjoyed the older films, you should like this one, too.

Oh, and as for waiting for the "cheap seats," I think that after the road show, it will likely go straight to video or streaming (or both). Smith doesn't seem to distribute his newest films theatrically in the conventional sense these days.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version