Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2020 nominees Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2019 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's a great call, Bill!

DLR's solo stuff was good for mainly one reason: Steve Vai on guitar. Yankee Rose is the only DLR song I actually like, aside from his covers of California Girls and Just A Gigolo/

I'm a pretty huge Roth fan so I love Eat 'Em and Smile, I think Skyscraper is okay, I like A Little Ain't Enough a good bit, Your Filthy Little Mouth is a step outside of the norm, and DLR Band has John 5 on guitar. I'm hoping that the recent stuff done with John 5 gets released. John 5 and Jason Becker are not Steve Vai but I think the guitar playing is still pretty good on the non-Vai releases. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2019 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like Skyscraper better than Eat `em and Smile, don`t
forget Billy Sheehan on bass on both albums! After that,
meh!
Like both Van Halen and Van Hagar, both had excellent
tracks, but a lot of filler!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd love to see them get in, but is the general public even aware of the likes of Thin Lizzy and T. Rex anymore...?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Probably not Shaun.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just noticed this thread. Were The Babys and/or John Waite ever nominated?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2019 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2019 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The way they nominate people, you're probably more likely to get Bad English in than The Babys.....

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

T-Rex stand out as a massive name from the list, but that's from a UK perspective. They were HUGE here in the early to mid 70's. 

If anyone mentions Glam Rock, T-Rex and The Sweet are the first bands I think of.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2019 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've a few problems with the Hall of Fame.

In no particular order, except #1 is my absolute top issue:

1. Whoever gets in (or doesn't) seems to be based on Jann Wenner's whims and tastes. This should be changing, fortunately, as he's stepping down. But whoever takes over could be just as problematic.

2. It should either be renamed the Rock, Rap and Pop Hall of Fame, or certain acts should be disallowed and even kicked out, or moved to the Influences section. Other than maybe LL Cool J, I cannot think of any rappers not in yet who belong. (And Notorious B.I.G. does not deserve to be in AT ALL. Most overrated rapper of all time.)

3. One-hit wonders should not get in over acts that have had multiple successes or long careers. 

4. Eligibility seems to be based at least in part on how much of a success the act is/was in the U.S., which means acts that are deserving for success elsewhere won't/may not get in. I'd love to see Saxon, Slade, and Golden Earring get in, but it likely won't happen for any of them. (And for the record, I much prefer Saxon's cover of "Ride Like The Wind" to Christopher Cross's original.)

5. Acts shouldn't get in based on one member being famous either while as a member or as a solo artist afterward. Rufus even being nominated at all (let alone multiple times) is absolute bs. They were a one-hit wonder, and who cares if Chaka Khan was a member?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2019 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

1) While I agree with your overall sentiment, it does work a little differently. Winner probably decides on nominees for the year, but the actual inductees are voted on by a body of some sort of membership and the public. I do know you do not have to already be inducted to be a member of this voting body. 

2) I somewhat disagree except for your point of LL Cool J. He should certainly be included. I understand why they include rap and R&B and Soul and all that, but I also understand the argument they should not be allowed. Either way, LL Cool J should be there. All your early NYC rappers whose influence on the form cannot be disputed are in there. Except for him. Do the right thing. 

3 & 5) I think in the case of one hit wonders and groups that have a member become famous are being recognized more for the influence they have than the actual hits they had. Rufus is huge in the funk/R&B world. No, they didn't have much in the way of hits, but their influence can't be denied. 

4) It makes sense that they base mostly on US success. It's the birthplace of rock 'n' roll, after all. And the US is the world's largest market. A lot of foreign acts consider the US market THE market to conquer. (And unless Saxon's cover of Ride Like the Wind has Michael McDonald singing backup, it's automatically inferior to the original by Cross).

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2019 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Gotta be honest, if I could consign any music genre into Room 101 then it would be rap.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What is "Room 101?"

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version