Soundgarden
Todd Rundgren
T.Rex
Thin Lizzy

and, the `why the f**k are these even being considered?!' list:

Notorious B.I.G.
Whitney Houston
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

If you're going to have Notorious B.I.G. as a nominee, why isn't Tupac also nominated? (Probably because B.I.G. has consistently been overhyped by Sean Combs.....)

Whitney Houston is pop/r&b. She belongs in about as much as the already inducted ABBA do.

Rufus was pretty much a one-hit wonder, and I doubt most people could name the band. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tupac got in two years ago. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My own personal list of hopefuls are Soundgarden, Doobie Brothers and Nine Inch Nails. Priest may make it. Whitney will certainly get in. DMB maybe. Motörhead could, too. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This year's list is better than some years but much like the Grammies (We live in a world where Jethro Tull beat Metallica for best metal album ) these things mean very little to me ... the live performances are generally very good

The MC5 had one hit and what 2 albums and their first album basically got banned from record stores kinda hard to figure why this group or that group gets nominated

I have no idea who Kraftwerk is

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Kraftwerk is a German band that's been around since the 1970's, but aren't well known in the U.S.

Had no clue that Tupac was in already, but then again I don't really care about hip-Hop acts going in.

And Rufus featuring Chaka Khan are not first time nominees. They've been on the list of nominees for four to six years.

Things *might* improve, because this is the last class Jann Wenner has input on. He's stepping down from running things. So hopefully future nominations will make more sense.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The MC5 were a big influence on punk rock, just as much as the Stooges and the Velvet Underground. 

If Soundgarden doesn't get in many, many people are going to be very angry. 

If they're going to include hip-hop artists I don't see why LL Cool J isn't already in. Tupac gets in before LL?

Pat Benetar will get in as the Token Female. (These people don't remember PJ Harvey exists, I guess.)

It'd be nice if Black rock bands, like Bad Brains and Living Colour and Fishbone, were at least nominated.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

MC5 has already been nominated multiple times as well. 

Yeah. Cool James has already been snubbed 4-5 times now. 

Pat Benetar should not get in. She had 2 hits and basically dropped off the face of the earth. It’s like saying Tommy Tutone should get in. 

I’d love for Living Colour to get in. Awesome band. 

BIG and Whitney will get in. The voters love posthumous inductions. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian you can make the same argument against Living Color they had one massive hit one smaller (my old apartment?) hit I think 3 albums and a greatest hits dropped off the earth till CM Punk adopted their song Cult of Personality they had a surge  again and charted 

Now if we are going to use influence as a criteria Living Color was the of the first rock rap funk bands ... Anthrax was doing the rap rock thing it to a point the Chili Peppers funk rock no one did all three..... I don't think Pat Benetar was ever an influence.

When I first heard Rage Against Machine my first thought was this is Living Color but harder 

Back to the MC5 for a moment they get a lot of credit for being an influence but the reality of it doesn't make sense and I love the MC5 some Detroit disk jockey played their single not knowing the word motherfucker was on it ( this may be urban legend but its noted in the MC5 book but no one can prove it) big bruhahaha ensues the album got pulled from stores over vulgarity the next one couldn't get played nor was it carried in the majority of record stores they broke up got regular jobs reunited or reformed later The Pump up the Volume movie was what introduced me to the MC5 

their connections to the Stooges is they were from the same area influence over Punk tho idk I think just became cool at some point to list them as an influence. My dad went to high school w Wayne Kramer so did my mom.  Neither had any idea who the MC5 were.  None. 

A predecessor to both the MC5 and the Stooges was an all black punk band called Death formed in Detroit they were punk before it existed 

As a sidenote to all of this Pearl Jam cover of Kick out the Jams is pretty damn awesome. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Totally agree about the MC5. They should be in. 

Benetar’s influence would be hard to find. Other than being “girl rocker” and there’s plenty more and better examples of that. 

Yeah, I was speaking more of Living Colour’s influence more than anything. 

And I’ve seen Pearl Jam do Kick Out The Jams twice. Fuck yeah. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think Benatar's getting in. She's got something like 6 platinum albums ,and like stated above I can see the vote casters feeling the need to include a female.
I do appreciate those very powerful lungs coming from that small frame!

MC5 seems to have some steam behind them as the hip choice to get in.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Whitney Houston is the female. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Pat Benatar is hardly a one or two hit wonder:

Love Is A Battlefield
Shadows Of The Night
Fire & Ice
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
We Belong
Invincible (aka the theme to The Legend Of Billie Jean)

If she's not in, then The Dave Matthews Band shouldn't be, either. 

Notorious B.I.G. will get in, but shouldn't. The most overrated rapper of all time, thanks to Sean Combs always over-hyping and promoting him. I remember Combs calling him `the greatest rapper alive' before he was killed, when he wasn't even top 5. And it just got worse after his murder. LL Cool J not being in yet is a load of crap.

The MC5 will get in, but it should be on their last year of eligibility or a lean year. Much like how borderline players get in pro sports HOFs. I don't think we're quite there yet. But Rufus featuring Chaka Khan should never get in. It would be a slap to the face of all the bands that had multiple hits and long careers that aren't in yet. I could maybe see inducting Chaka Khan solo, but NOT Rufus.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 17 October 2019 at 2:49pm

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version