Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Superhero movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If not hubris, then what? Not altruism, at least not as presented in the comic. Scientific curiosity? Ambition? Temporary insanity?

Obviously, grief was a factor in the TV movie, but in that and the film, Banner willingly subjects himself to (or allows himself to be subjected to) an extreme dose of gamma radiation. To prove his (clearly not tested enough) theories? 

I guess one could argue that the ultimate goal in both sets of research was to benefit humanity. In the series, it wasn't going to bring the wife back, but maybe it could help prevent similar tragedies in the future. 

In the movie, he was ostensibly working on radiation resistance for soldiers (but Ross had ulterior motives). This would help save lives. 

But, still, in both cases, despite being a brilliant scientist, volunteered himself as a test subject, unaware of certain variables, clearly dismissing others.

I read that as Icarian, but am open to more apt adjectives. 

The results, in both cases, did end up saving many lives. David Banner's knack for unwittingly stumbling upon nefariousness and his Hulk's incredible strength prevented quite a few murders and other untimely deaths. 

And Bruce Banner's Hulk, because of his great strength and innate resistance to gamma radiation, ended up saving half the universe. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 18 October 2019 at 9:32am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

hubris

noun

arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur, pride, self-importance, egotism, pomposity, superciliousness, superiority

informal: big-headedness, cockiness.

None of that sounds like Banner in any of his many forms.

Back to Top profile | search

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I quite enjoyed the two Andrew Garfield Spider-Man films. 

Of course, I was so excited by mechanical webshooters (and a Spider-Man that wasn't un-masked for 80% of his screen time) that it probably jaded my perception a bit. 

The two films did have their flaws and most of them involved the villains (are we ever going to get a decent version of Green Goblin)? But Spider-Man himself was finally the Spider-Man I wanted to see.

Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor probably wasn't the best version of that character (particularly all the comic relief), but Christopher Reeve's Superman was so spot-on, I could forgive that. I feel similarly about Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

At least the Garfield Spider-Man took off his mask only when it was logical to do so--and when the rosk of revealing his identity was minimal. The Maguire Spider-Man was, well, stupid!

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At least the Garfield Spider-Man took off his mask only when it was logical to do so--and when the rosk of revealing his identity was minimal. 
The Maguire Spider-Man was, well, stupid!

I think the worst example of this was in Spider-Man 2 when he takes off his mask while driving a car down the middle of Manhattan. It makes me cringe every time I see it. 

Doc Ock seems just as stupid too in SM2 when he throws a car at Peter & MJ while they sit in a cafe. What was he expecting to happen since he didn't know Peter was Spider-Man? 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Jason M. - Of course, Peter Parker was probably as safe as any driver (and more so than a lot of others) since he has his spider-sense. I've wondered why Matt Murdock never tried that as a second career. Where he operates, that might be very handy indeed.

As for Doc Ock - ain't no justifying for the acts of them crazy folks!

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think the worst example of this was in Spider-Man 2 when he takes off his mask while driving a car down the middle of Manhattan. It makes me cringe every time I see it. 

Or Tom Holland's mask removal on the bridge near the end of Spider-Man: Far from Home. 

Duh!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version