Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Superhero movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Marvel has not made any Hulk movies since 2008 for three main reasons:

1. Since THE AVENGERS (2012), they’ve felt the Hulk works best with an ensemble cast of superheroes.

2. There are a limited number of slots in each “phase,” and they’ve chosen to expend those, whenever possible, on new characters.

3. There has not yet been a definitive strategy on how to package a new film that primarily features the Hulk, although several ideas have been discussed.

Universal’s stake in the distribution is a negotiation factor, not a dealbreaker. Should Marvel decide they want to release a new Hulk film, they wouldn’t table it because of Universal. They’d do the same thing they did with Sony and try to work a new deal.  
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A well-written, properly directed solo Hulk movie...I need this. I really do.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I remember the feeling when I was leaving the theater after seeing the first AVENGERS film. 

Huge smile on my face, whispering to myself: "They finally did it. They made a shared universe Marvel comic book come to life"

Of course not all of us will love every aspect of it and we're used to it by now but I still think it was a remarkable achievement that shouldn't be taken for granted.

That DC/Warner is still very far from accomplishing this in a successful manner is proof enough of that.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE INCREDIBLE HULK is Marvel Studio's lowest grossing film, running almost dead-even at the box office as Ang Lee's film, released five years earlier.

There won't be another true Hulk solo film until Marvel has a plan to crack that particular code. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 2:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The thing was THE INCREDIBLE HULK did set up a lot of potential that was never followed up.

The Leader was teased, and the end left me wanting to see more of what Bruce had achieved with his transformations.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Keeping in mind, too, that the movie was based mostly on the TV show, which itself was not very faithful to the comic, but was where most of the potential audience would have seen the characters.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Keeping in mind, too, that the movie was based mostly on the TV show, which itself was not very faithful to the comic, but was where most of the potential audience would have seen the characters.

=========================================================

True. It was The Incredible Hulk TV Series that got me in to comics.

Despite its deviations (for reasons well cited by Stan Lee and Kenneth Johnson) I still think the TV show is a good adaption. Especially when it explored more sci-fi possibilities.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Indeed. As Stan famously said, the Hulk TV series succeeded because they didn't try to do the comic, while the Spider-Man series failed because they did!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2019 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Having been a fan of both for decades prior to the film's release, I found it an enjoyable fusion of elements from the classic comics and the TV show. 

While the origin seems more lifted from the series, with Banner trying tap into the utmost potential of human strength (but in this case, trying to duplicate/build upon Super Soldier work)*, right down to the radiation chair, there is much sourced from the comics: the Hulk's look, size, strength level, ability to speak (though rarely doing so). Also, there was Thunderbolt Ross as an antagonist and Betty as the love interest of BRUCE Banner (elements admittedly also found in HULK). And the Abomination (such as he was) as the Big Bad. Even hints at the Leader and Doc Samson.

Of course, there are the TV show trappings - the wide, glowing eyes at transformation, the briefly-heard iconic Lonely Man Theme**, the riff on "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry", Banner in hiding, on the run, desperately searching for a "cure"...

Interesting to note that this Hulk had/has no explicit "healing factor" that was such a huge aspect of Ang Lee's HULK and the comics of the time (and even more so now). It's just really difficult to cause him any real damage. Where it does seem he heals quickly, it's not in a matter of seconds. It's more Captain America-style than Wolverine. 
Similar to how it worked on the TV show. That Hulk was not bullet-proof, but, if shot, the wound would show days' worth of healing in just a few hours. 

I found THE INCREDIBLE HULK quite satisfying. And I've followed his arc thru the MCU films with great interest, as I'm just fan of the big guy.

*That, in the series and this film, the Hulk "curse" was born of hubris rather than altruism, lends another layer to the "tragedy". Though, one could argue that developing the Gamma Bomb in the first place showed tremendous arrogance, man trying to tame (while simultaneous unleashing) the forces of nature, and all that.

**The Lonely Man is also heard in RAGNAROK, while Thor and the Hulk are having their fire/water conversation. I didn't pick up on it on my first viewing, but after reading about it, I kept an ear out on subsequent watches. It's subtle, but it's there. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 16 October 2019 at 8:30am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That, in the series and this film, the Hulk "curse" was born of hubris rather than altruism, lends another layer to the "tragedy".

--

Interesting. Unlike Lee and Kirby's original tale, Bixby/Norton Banners are not shown actively trying to save anyone moments before his accident--but I never interpreted their actions as hubris-driven.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Bixby’s version is driven by the death of his wife, which is hardly hubris.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree with Doug and JB.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version