Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Superhero movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Has any of them felt like a cinematic version of the comic book titles they are based on? For me it hasn't, but if I had seen them in the same age as when I was first introduced to the comics, who knows.
And when you change the medium, there has to be some changes. The first Sin City film, even if not a superhero movie, did look a lot the title it was based on.

I think part of the reason is because the comics used to feel like a TV-show, With New episodes NeXT week (or a New issue NeXT month). There were usually no huge events involving the Whole planet; the stories were restricted to a limited amount of characters. The Movies are created on a much larger scale and feels like huge events, like crossover concept such as Crisis or Secret Wars.

Hollywood is obvioulsy mostly interested in storylines that are as large as possible. So perhaps TV is better to capture the experience than a tentpole Movie (assuming you grew up on the Comics and were familiar With them before the movies)?

(A Movie has a much larger Budget than a TV-show With several episodes each season. If you were to create a TV-show on the same scale, and New build sets for each New episode and then perhaps never use it again, would have made the Budget gigantic.)
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In the main, most of them don't hit the mark in terms of being live-action representations of the comics. That's not to say that they aren't entertaining (I preferred the Guardians of the Galaxy movie to any GOTG comic that I ever read).

On the other hand (and I know I'm in the minority for not liking them), Spider-Man's two MCU movies just plain stomp on two many core elements of Spidey lore.

With regard to TV series', Marvel, I think, have missed a trick. The Netflix shows, for example, are so padded out with filler episodes while running with one thread throughout. Jessica Jones was perfect to present different cases every two or three episodes (same thing for The Punisher). Instead the viewing experience was much more of a chore than it needed to be.  

Agree with you on Sin City being a close representation (maybe just down to Frank Miller being hands-on).

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If anyone had told me, when I was an avid Marvel reader, that a day would come when movie theaters were bursting with “adaptations” of my favorite characters, and that I would not want to see any of them, I would have laughed in his/her face.

Now I just weep quietly in the corner.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's so frustrating to think that with the power that Marvel/Disney has at the box office, character-altering compromises don't have to be made now. 

There are millions of fans all over the world that just want to see their favourite characters brought to life on screen - not mangled into depictions that are nothing like the source material.

JB, just out of interest - what was the last superhero movie that you did watch?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I saw the first IRON MAN in the theater, and enjoyed it. Since then, except for bits and pieces on cable—does HANCOCK count?

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

—does HANCOCK count?

--------------------------------------

Maybe a bit of stretch (although there's probably a few non-comic fans out there who have it down as a Marvel/DC movie..!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Okay, so WHY would HANCOCK be considered “a bit of a stretch”? It contains all the tropes normally associated with superheroes, especially in movies.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, it's a superhero movie. I was dimly thinking of the OP's 'comic book adaptations' reference. It;s been a long day...

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I thought THE INCREDIBLE HULK, while merely a good, not great, movie, was pretty accurate in its adaptation.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That I completely forgot about it doesn’t say much for the movie, I guess, but, yes, I did enjoy THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE INCREDIBLE HULK seems to be the "forgotten" Marvel movie.

It wasn't a brilliant movie, but it was good, and portrayed the characters well, unlike how they treated Banner / The Hulk in the next set of movies.

In a way, I can't see Edward Norton portraying the role in the way it has been written for Mark Ruffalo.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Lee and Kirby figured out pretty quickly that the Hulk did not belong in the Avengers. Pity Hollywood had to “fix” that.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version