Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: 40 Years of Doctor Who Magazine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This week in October, 1979, the Doctor was Tom Baker... and I was there, sort of...

I was lucky enough to pick up the first four issues around when #4 was the newest, we seemed to get British (and Japanese) comics in monthly shipments like that, a bunch at one time. The first four had these little rub-on transfer sheets attached to the covers you could rub on to the inside of the first issue's covers which showed two colourful scenes. The first comic serial was a doozy, The Iron Legion, with art by Dave Gibbons, in snappy B&W. It was so popular they reprinted it in the first Special, and then later in a colour Special (plus it ran in color in the U.S. Marvel Premiere comic)!

From Weekly it went Monthly and added more fan features for older readers about the show past and present, it still had comics, including the irreverant strip by Dicky Howe, and eventually, glossier with more colour, it was just Magazine. The last issue I bought was #96 when Colin Baker was the new Doctor (and I did not like him, at all, but then I wasn't sure I was supposed to). I had moved on to slick fan magazines like D W Bulletin (later Dream Watch), The Frame, Private Who and TV Zone. It was and is a treasure trove of info and art for all committed (or at least sectionable) Whovians!

Any memories of the still going strong DWM out in JBF land?

https://i.imgur.com/aZdjf36.jpg (nice scan of the cover of the first issue with transfer sheet)

Thanks to Robbie P. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 11 October 2019 at 11:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember getting the 25th Anniversary Special around the time that The Five Doctors aired. It had a complete list of all the serials with notes about which were lost at that time. I read it repeatedly until it crumbled to dust in my fingers. I was also a big fan of the comics that Marvel were reprinting in the US. They were my first exposure to Brian Bolland, still one of my favorite artists.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Canít go wrong with Bolland!
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My brother bought Doctor Who weekly (as it was back then) from the first issue. So many of those first issues are burnt into my brain. That cover with Tom Baker and the Daleks. The pin-ups of the various Doctors (all four of 'em back then!). The comic strips by Moore and Gibbons. Did they ever go on to do anything of note in the world of comics?

Perhaps my most abiding memory is of a pull-out wall chart that listed every episode. This would have been during season 17, but before the season had finished being broadcast. So late 1979. It had all of season 17 listed -- including Shada! So confusing to my young mind. I would go back to that literally months and months after and have some spark of hope that the Beeb would still broadcast it. 

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I remember picking up issue one in the newsagents. I'd stopped watching the programme the previous year due to my Saturday job and a dislike of the Graham Williams-era silliness but still had a strong interest in the show as a whole. I hadn't heard any news about it so was pleasantly surprised to open it up and see Dave Gibbons' artwork. I remember realising by issue five that the main strip was being produced in 17-page "issues" spread over four weeks so they were clearly hoping for US publication.

I still read the magazine today but only via a digital subscription.

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 13 October 2019 at 9:37am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have some e-editions of later issues. I also kept buying the specials long after I had quit the regular monthly issues. Before there were affordable VCRs or the audio releases, and when there were fewer repeats, you either had synopsis' with a few stills in a magazine or those paperback versions. I never got into the paperbacks. Reading about something like Evil Of The Daleks, Web Of Fear or Tomb Of The Cybermen you would really imagine the greatest stories of all. Luckily the latter two when they were finally (mostly) available were still quite good, but Evil is the greatest ever still. I think Shada would've been one of the top Williams stories had it been properly completed. DWM did run some negative letters about the Williams era, I respect that they would (although probably JN-T wouldn't have minded in his role as advisor). The real behind-the-scenes dirt was in DWB though, sometimes a bit too much so.

So I still have DWM from the start of being monthly to #96, and the first dozen or so Specials... I never did get the one-shot satirical Dicky Howe mag, nor the Absalom Daak comic. There's still a couple issues of The Frame that would come before getting those. :^)

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If this site is correct, that's about the same time station WOR began showing Doctor Who two episodes at a time on Saturday mornings. If they started with Tom Baker in "Robot," I was lucky enough to miss that and get my introduction to him in "The Ark in Space."

A bit more than a decade later, in some comic shop's Random Magazine box that I found a Doctor Who Magazine (#150, article on "Tomb of the Cybermen," still lost at the time) and a DWB (#80, "The Memory Cheats" article on "The Five Doctors"), the only examples I own.

Thomas Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Canít go wrong with Bolland"

I totally agree with that, Brian Bolland is one of my favourite artists too.

It got me thinking though. Having read all the Doctor Who magazines from #1 I've been trying to remember where Brian Bolland has done any art for a Doctor Who comic strip/cover and I've drawn a blank. It's 40 years though so my memory may be playing up.

Byron, can you put my mind at rest and tell me -
 - is there some Brian Bolland Doctor Who art I've missed/forgotten?
or
 - did you mean Dave Gibbons and accidentally put Brian Bolland? 

It's been tickling away at my brain all day.

I did try and do a search and came up with this: Brian Bolland's 1970's take on Doctor Who but it wasn't published in the magazine.

There's also this which may be of interest: Doctor Who Weekly - How It All Began

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Canít go wrong with Gibbons, either!

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thomas Adams wrote:
did you mean Dave Gibbons and accidentally put Brian Bolland?

Yes, it seems I did.

At least you didn't notice the other mistake!

Thomas Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Byron, thanks for clearing that up.
You mix up did make me find that Bolland 70's take on Doctor Who which I've not seen before so you have my thanks for that.

The Doctor Who Weekly comic strip was where I first noticed Dave Gibbons' work too and I've been a fan ever since.

As for your other mistake, well five years out is nothing really when it's a show that spans the whole of time :o)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I got the first few issues too, and similar to Robbie M,
had also stopped watch the show due to a Saturday job
(No home video recorders in the UK in 1979!)
I loved the Moore/Gibbons stories!
40 years! Where has the time gone?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version