Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 2
Topic: 40 Years of Doctor Who Magazine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Where has the time gone?"

Who knows? Who knows!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :^)

Those Brian Bolland pages are cool to find out about! I remember the first thing I saw by him being some Green Lantern covers for DC. For Alan Davis I think it was a U.S. reprint of D.R. and Quinch from 2000 A.D. I remember seeing 2000 A.D. a few times but was afraid to get into it (so many issues, short parts of longer stories, and harder to find). There was a lot at my fingertips I missed out on, but I can discover a lot of it now thanks to the internet and other fans.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Goodness, I remember picking up the very first issue of Doctor Who Weekly down at my then local paper shop like it was yesterday. Fish and chips for supper that evening too, I recall, so win-win.

One I thing I must confess though, I rarely enjoyed the comic strip part of the comic. The artwork was terrific, yes, no complaints there; but the scripts usually felt (to me) like they were 2000AD stories with the Doctor grafted on. I rarely buy the magazine now (too expensive and too much 21st century Who for this fan of the classic era), but when I do, the comic strip is always the very last thing that I look at. I'm almost tempted to say that I'm not sure the good Doctor's adventures lend themselves to the comic book format except that I recall how much I used to enjoy the Pertwee strips in Countdown back in the days before Doctor Who Weekly got started. That being the case I suspect the problem lies with me rather than the strip. Anways, happy anniversary...actually, I might have fish and chips to celebrate (LOTS of salt and vinegar!).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It was a great comic @ the start. The main stories with Dave Gibbons art, the back ups providing depth to the monsters etc - loved Abslom Daak & the Cyberman stories. Wish I could get these digitally

Nd the trickles were great for filling in history - explaining stories that I had never seen but that seemed so interesting.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version