Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 05 -- Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The perspective defining the panel borders in panel 1 is an amazing device, really draws you in.

In panel 2, Xavier appears to be looking right at Cap like he's actually there, as opposed to being a projected image on a flat screen. Perhaps this is some sort of holographic display? Regardless, it helps carry the narrative and connect the characters.

Is it Monday yet?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Avengers! The Avengers! THE FREAKIN' AVENGERS!!!

The main book and stories are magnificent. But sometimes, these cameos are like delightful little nuggets of flavor, and even a bit better!

I can safely say that there is at least one comic that I want to read regularly!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It’s more than a little sad, realizing that for me these (and the ones to follow) are the “default setting” for the Avengers, and in the years that followed I found myself depressed each time I had to ask “who are they now?”

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

They're my Avengers also. Thank Asgard I wasn't put thru the torture of what the years would bring. Life is cozy in my little bubble.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tweaking the team membership (ANY team membership - even the sacrosanct FF) appears to be the priority for any new writer taking over a title in the last couple of decades. They feel the need to put their personal stamp on affairs by shaking up the roster (usually by including unexpected fringe characters or reformed villains) rather than focusing on a basic solid story-line and developing a consistent core character base.

What made Marvel great was the shared universe, the consistency of long-running titles, and the fact that events in previous issues therefore mattered. I cannot remember the last time I read a comic and felt it mattered. The current X-reboot in 'House of' and 'Powers of' leaves me cold. Ingenious and very clever (far too clever) and nicely penciled - but ultimately dull in the extreme and in a year's time won't mean a thing.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So many superheroes have been Avengers that I'm not sure how membership can be considered special at this point.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well the main problem with the Avengers is that although we still have the big three (Cap, Iron Man and Thor) in the actual line-up as the core, they have been so changed in the last years that they have become non-recognizable and almost new characters. We have one-eyed one-armed short-haired Thor with no Mjolnir, fugitive Cap going as Steve Rogers and cloned Tony Stark as Iron Man!
Still we also have some classic Avengers as Black Panther, She-Hulk and Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers. Only strange members are Ghost Rider/Robbie Reyes and... Blade!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Drift alert!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So many super heroes haven't been Avengers at this time, in the X-Men universe, any more than so many new Fantastic Four members (e.g., Ant-Man, Storm, T'Challa.)

It's Mr. Byrne's universe, and we KNOW which heroes he considers to be legitimate Avengers. And, I suspect, if we don't - he'll show us!

And I would buy a book of model sheets of the X-Men, Avengers, and FF if they were done by Mr. Byrne!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Magneto as a villain!!! Balance is restored to the universe!! Very nice page today and equally on character is Wolverine's impulse to attack immediately. This book restores my faith in comics.

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wow. I love Magneto's hands in that first panel.

And I echo appreciation at the fact that he remains a villain!  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And I echo appreciation at the fact that [Magneto] remains a villain!

••

Of all the rehabilitations Marvel has done over the years (and there are not as many as some people think), Magneto stands as the most ridiculous. Oh, sure, he can have had some kind of moral epiphany and come to rue the errors of his ways, but that does not wipe the slate clean! "My bad" is not a sufficient defense for mass murder.

Of course, I have actually seen people online claim that had Hitler been captured at the end of WW2, he, too, could have been "rehabilitated".

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version