Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 05 -- Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I start my day with these, that's how much I enjoy them. For me, X-men #108 - 143 is an example of comics at their best. I have studied those stories so much, I think I know them panel by panel. 

And yet, seeing JB's work on those same characters today, makes me realize how much his work has matured since then — when at the time they were published I thought those panels were perfection. 

However, the biggest aspect of this that I enjoy, is the distribution system. One page a day, five days a week, each month until the story is finished. When I was a kid, I would read them like this, one page at a time, not looking ahead. And with vertical scrolling, it usually allows for one panel reveal at a time, which is even better. From like how comixology lets me view old comics. 

I actually think a distribution system such as this, would help save the comic industry. It would give everyone a daily dose and allow many who can't meet monthly deadlines, to maybe meet daily deadlines, by just doing one page a day. (maybe I'm being too hopeful with that one). It would help keep consistent talent on books, and yet still collect a large series of stories at the end of the year and put them out in trade to satisfy that side of the industry (because it's not going anywhere). 

It's almost taking comic books back to their roots, as single daily comic strips that were later collected. But, for me, I find that refreshing. 

Thanks for making me feel like a kid again. A kid drinking coffee. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

BTW -- I mentioned before that I was surprised and somewhat annoyed to learn, via Google, that Chris was using real place names in the stories. The closest town to Muir Island, for instance, he identified as Stornoway, which is real.

Drawing today's page, then, I decided to Google some images and make the location as accurate as possible.

I hope my many, many readers in Stornoway appreciate the extra effort!

Back to Top profile | search

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Spooky - I was just about to ask if you used any Scottish locations as reference for the village! An absolutely wonderful page.You can practically smell the sea and hear the seagulls.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When I was about seven years old my family took a two week vac--holiday on the coast of Wales. It was my first exposure to "the Sea", and that distinctive aroma has stayed with me ever since. Instant memory trigger!

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Everytime I reread it all and I'm amazed by the way you draw Magneto.

And everytime I look at him I recognize Quicksilvers's father and not only because of his hair!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Multiple Man!  You're definitely on your game when an interlude page whose principal action is two elderly ladies pining over a cloaked Jamie Madrox is this compelling thanks to the gorgeous backgrounds.

Edited by Rick Senger on 18 October 2019 at 10:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And everytime I look at him I recognize Quicksilvers's father and not only because of his hair!

••

As most of you probably know, it was my idea to make Magneto Wanda and Pietro's father, and once I had the idea good ol' Marvel Serendipity seemed to fill in all the facts as if it was intended all along.

The seed of this was planted by the way Neal Adams drew the unmasked (unhelmeted?) Magneto during his all-too-brief tenure on UNCANNY. White hair with "tufts" on the side? Hm. Who does THAT look like?

(Interesting to compare Neal's aquiline Magneto to the flattened boxer's face of which Kirby gave us glimpses behind the helmet.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Neal also drew that boxer face, before the Savage Land story.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Another gorgeously drawn page... designed to drive us crazy waiting for the other plot-lines.. LOL

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I find the Scottish islands really fascinating, watch every doc relating to them and have walked around where I could via Google-earth. Very well portrayed, I love this!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sean Sinclair
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yayyyy, Jamie Madrox!!

Sean Sinclair
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Regarding timelines, my favorite approach is the one you used in Legends at DC, where "comic book time" is unrelated to the time when the reader is reading it, and the events of the story happen in whatever years they happened in. 

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version