Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: All-CGI Superhero Movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2019 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Picking up from the topic discussed in Bill Mimbu's Lupin III thread, and rather than derail that thread further, I just wanted to see the general opinion on all-CGI superhero movies.

My opinion is that we've reached the point where 3D CGI can be done convincingly, and importantly, brings none of the restrictions that live action movies do. Everything can be precisely on-model, and as I noted in the other thread, each movie can be done in the style of the artist best-known for that character (e.g. Byrne FF!).

What's not to like? I thought about this, and the only possible answers I can come up as to why it's not popular are:

1. Producers love the traditional method of using 'star power' to draw people to a movie. That's how you get a Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes film for example, because the producer sees it as an RDJr film, not a Sherlock Holmes film. Having them as voices for animation or CGI doesn't necessarily rake in the same dough.

2. I suspect that some comicbook fans think that their hero can't be "cool" unless and until a particular celebrity plays them in a live action movie.

That's all I can come up with as cons. Anyone have any other arguments against all-CGI comicbook movies?

I just think it's well past due that we got rid of all of the idiosyncrasies and limitations of live action for what was, and should be, the stylised world of heroes that only CGI can capture. Imagine the possibilities!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2019 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've been saying tor a long time that animation, CGI or otherwise is the way to go.

Real world translation of costumes and various other elements do not translate well, for me at least, in regards to live action.

Also, I don't know if it's written into the actors contract, that the character they portray, must have their masks off for a significant portion of screen time.

I believe animation enables the stories to be told freely. 

Also, it will be about, or can be about the art.  Story/visuals, etc.

Put the live action Avengers next to the animated JL/JLU series and
in my opinion the JL/JLU series is far superior.

Iron Man reinvented/re-introduced Robert Downey Jr rather than the other way around. 

Getting rid of the real world aspects and celebrities, could introduce better stories and visuals...and bring the grandeur that the books used to have in abundance,

Back to Top profile | search

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If they could bring back Peter Cushing is Star Wars, they should be able to create realistic CGI-versions of comic book characters. They don't even need to be entirely photorealistic.

Take Big Hero 6 for instance. If you used the same approach, but made the backgrounds a little more photorealistic, and gave the characters more real-life proportions and anatomy, and made them less cartoony, I know I would have seen it.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This definitely isn't about photorealism for me, in fact the complete opposite. It's about having heroes in CGI that are basically 3D animations of what we see in comic-books. So you get perfectly "on-model" representations of your favourite superheroes and their world :)

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's still a question about rendering. As for the design of the characters, they would require at least some realism. There are so many different styles these days, from different artists, and not all of the styles work equally well as CGI-characters in 3D.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

All-CGI is fine... but that's the start, not the goal. I recall a movie from several years back called "Final Fantasy" and I believe Alec Baldwin voiced the lead character. I heard that the animators had to flaw it up a tiny bit because it was TOO realistic. I don't get that phrase, but let it go.

This is the future. It's 2019. All-CGI is great and if there's a way to use actors long gone again, terrific. I'm still hoping for a new Three Stooges short someday, or Bogie in a new adventure movie.

But if the story stinks, then what purpose? CGI is a tool to a quality (or stinkbomb) movie. I'm all in favor of it. Especially when I saw "Endgame" in 3-D and it looked like a video game to me... oh, a really fantastic one - but not realistic.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Forget movies! Think about what similar technology can do to music! New Beatles albums! Callas singing Don't Cry for Me, Argentina! Billie Holiday and Elvis singing Shallow! Piaf singing Despacito (in Spanish, of course)!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was very impressed with that particular FINAL FANTASY—hard to believe it was so long ago—but it’s been a dozen years since last I watched it. I suspect it has not aged well, tho the animators did, indeed, avoid any attempt at true photorealism in their characters. That steered away from the Uncanny Valley.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
It's about having heroes in CGI that are basically 3D animations of what we see in comic-books. So you get perfectly "on-model" representations of your favourite superheroes and their world

In that case, count me in!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And now, to war over which representations of the characters are “true”. Spider-Man by Steve Ditko? Or by Todd McFarlane? Etc.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Here's the beauty of it JB, you could vary the representations by era. So using your example, each Spider-Man movie would have the respective style of the dominant creative team of that era - i.e, Ditko for the origin story and early years, McFarlane for a Venom story, etc.

It would not only keep the movies continuously fresh, without the damage that reboots often do, it would tie them back to the original comics so that if somebody were to go back and read the original stories, it'd be just like an expanded version of the movie.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

You're thinking like a fan, Koroush. Think like a civilian moviegoer, sitting in the dark wondering why the studios can't settle on a consistent look for the characters.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version