Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: All-CGI Superhero Movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And normally, you'd be right there JB.

Except it has me thinking that in this day and age, where every little detail of an upcoming blockbuster is anticipated, discussed and dissected on 24/7 news and social media, civilians would not only be forewarned regarding the concept that each Marvel movie is in a different style to be as close to source as possible, it may even be a selling point.

I recall when the movie 300 came out, numerous general film sites and blogs proudly displayed comparisons between the film and the graphic novel, purring about how close they were to each other, e.g. here and here.

I'm not delusional enough to think this can happen straight away, not with Disney having invested millions into building the MCU around live action actors. But I think that in a few years, when RDJ, Chris Evans, et.al are ready to hang up their suits, and talks begin about the inevitable reboots, this may be a possibility worth exploring.

The Fantastic Four in particular would be a great way to test this concept. It's basically a dead franchise in the cinematic world, with nothing to lose. But it also lends itself to some of the most stunning visuals if done right with CGI - imagine a Kirby-esque space scene, with the FF in a full display of their powers, against Galactus or the Skrulls - all with a '60s look and soundtrack. Sometimes, something that stylised strikes the right chord with audiences.

Or I'm just dreaming out loud again :)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Except it has me thinking that in this day and age, where every little detail of an upcoming blockbuster is anticipated, discussed and dissected on 24/7 news and social media, civilians would not only be forewarned regarding the concept that each Marvel movie is in a different style to be as close to source as possible, it may even be a selling point.

For some, yes. But the bulk of the moviegoing audience is drawn by trailers and little else. They don't think like fans, and they don't want a ton of information fed to them before they see the movie(s).

++++++++

Or I'm just dreaming out loud again :)

Or you have greater respect for the steaming masses than I do!

Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Does the fact that I frequently refer to them as the "moronic masses" (made famous by Richard Burton's speech at the end of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold) give away my feelings towards the common man?

That said, I think that even if 3DCGI superhero movies used a single more generic look, say, similar to what we get in superhero video games, then it would still be better than the limitations imposed by live action. This video shows what's already possible on a common games console today (PS4). Add in the correct costume, much better overall CGI, and it could easily provide a consistent and persistent world for superhero movies and TV shows, free of the costs and whims of megabuck actors :)

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Why 3D CGI, necessarily? I've long felt the best representation of a "comic book come to life" is 2D animation, either wholly in the traditional style or achieved with CGI.

I think SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE was a great example of this. It emulated traditional 2D animation and the look and feel of a comic. It also made money and won awards, so the public was accepting of it. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 15 October 2019 at 7:20am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was impressed by the animation in SPIDER-VERSE, tho turned off by the "What if Spider-Man was a DC Character" premise.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For me, SPIDER-VERSE was one of those "I know I shouldn't like it but I really do, I can't help it" movies.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I wonder how far this idea can be pushed. Could it bring to life engravings of John Tenniel, Gustave Dore, or M.C. Escher?

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Do you mean technically or commercially? Technically, anything can be modeled in 3D, but some things just look wrong when they are, like Homer Simpson in 3D.

Commercially, famous likenesses are protected like property rights and don't necessarily expire because they can be passed on. What will really be eerie is when the rights to famous actors' likenesses ultimately expire (no legitimate heirs, changes to laws, etc.) and we start seeing full 3DCGI movies starring unusual pairings of famous long-dead actors that could pass for the real thing.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's hardly a fair comparison, tho. Let's see Homer surrounded by the other SIMPSONS characters, in his own "reality".

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2019 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Simpsons 3D animation was also 24 years ago on a television budget.

It's like comparing the animation in Toy Story (1995) to Toy Story 4 (2019).
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version