Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: The War of the Worlds mini series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2019 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The BBC has produced a period correct version of The War of the Worlds.
The advert was released yesterday & I have to admit I’m looking forward to this. The tripods look pretty decent.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 September 2019 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Still not as Wells described them, tho.

“And this Thing I saw! How can I describe it? A monstrous tripod, higher than many houses, striding over the young pine trees, and smashing them aside in its career; a walking engine of glittering metal, striding now across the heather; articulate ropes of steel dangling from it, and the clattering tumult of its passage mingling with the riot of the thunder. A flash, and it came out vividly, heeling over one way with two feet in the air, to vanish and reappear almost instantly as it seemed, with the next flash, a hundred yards nearer. Can you imagine a milking stool tilted and bowled violently along the ground? That was the impression those instant flashes gave. But instead of a milking stool imagine it a great body of machinery on a tripod stand... Seen nearer, the Thing was incredibly strange, for it was no mere insensate machine driving on its way. Machine it was, with a ringing metallic pace, and long, flexible, glittering tentacles (one of which gripped a young pine tree) swinging and rattling about its strange body. It picked its road as it went striding along, and the brazen hood that surmounted it moved to and fro with the inevitable suggestion of a head looking about. Behind the main body was a huge mass of white metal like a gigantic fisherman's basket, and puffs of green smoke squirted out from the joints of the limbs as the monster swept by me.”

Back to Top profile | search

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2019 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They filmed some of the country village scenes just up the road from me in Cheshire, so quite keen to see this onscreen!

—-edited to add—

Not a fan of the tripod design - looks too ‘contemporary’ with its CGI design and blue lights. Shame.

Edited by Jim Muir on 30 September 2019 at 11:04am

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just saw news of this, got all excited! Read the brief plot summary, and watched the trailer. Sigh...

Looks like another "modernised re-telling" of a classic story. Why bother setting it in Victorian England, then give it tripods with a clearly modern aesthetic? It's quite jarring and obviously CGI, and has no gravitas whatsoever as a result.

The Martian war engines are meant to be a horrifying cross between metallic and organic vehicles, like this:

Also, in the book, the narrator's wife is not a central character (she doesn't even have a name), other than to motivate the narrator to return to her; in this I suspect the wife is the equal of - or better than - the narrator at everything. I have no problem with capable women in stories, but not when they're ret-conned into every nook and cranny of every bloody story. Especially one set in Victorian England!

The book is truly a great read, and the story stands the test of time. If only somebody would have the guts to recreate it, exactly as written, it would be an amazing experience.

There's also a Studio Canal version of War of the Worlds coming out this year set in the present day. Can't find an actual trailer for that one.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

…in the book, the narrator's wife is not a central character (she doesn't even have a name)…

••

Neither does the narrator, as I recall. Another of Wells' nameless "Everyman" characters.

++++++++++

The book is truly a great read, and the story stands the test of time. If only somebody would have the guts to recreate it, exactly as written, it would be an amazing experience.

••

For that, you'll have to look to Classics Illustrated. A nice little hardcover edition of their version, illustrated by Lou Cameron, came out a few years back.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Slightly OT, but The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds by Manly Wade Wellman and   Wade Wellman is a fun mashing up of Doyle/Wells, Holmes/Martians.

I've yet to read The Massacre of Mankind: Authorised Sequel to The War of the Worlds by Stephen Baxter.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
For that, you'll have to look to Classics Illustrated. A nice little hardcover edition of their version, illustrated by Lou Cameron, came out a few years back.

Nice one JB, you managed to find a way to soothe my indignant rage! Looks like Amazon has this in stock :)

One of the reasons I would love a true recreation of The War of the Worlds, is that Victorian England, is, in and of itself, fascinating and in a way unnerving. Everything appears to be so utterly ordered into an immutable hierarchy, everyone, every animal, every machine, has a place and a set role to play. It's eerie all by itself, even without adding in Martians.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As I know I have mentioned before, the Classics Illustrated version was what introduced me to THE WARD OF THE WORLDS. My family was returning from a vacation in Wales, and my father bought it for me to read on the train. One scene in particular, set in a coal cellar under a destroyed house, spooked me so badly that I had a nightmare about it that night, transplanting it to my bedroom.

One of my art collecting grails is a page from that issue. Not necessarily that one!!

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
One scene in particular, set in a coal cellar under a destroyed house...

I know precisely which scene you mean and even though I read it purely in text form, it's still imprinted in my mind's eye. Fortunately, I first read it when I was a bit older.

/EDIT: If this response seems odd, it's because the page you posted hadn't loaded when I did my reply :) I know the scene though, especially as in the book there's some drama leading up to it too.

Worth noting is that as of 2017, the original The War of the Worlds book entered the public domain (hence, no doubt, the numerous adaptations arriving now), so anyone can grab this book for free electronically, e.g. on iBooks. No excuses not to read it, it beats all of the recent adaptations!

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 09 October 2019 at 8:02am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well that was a hard watch. Probably 95% of the story did not come from the book. Most characters were changed, some a little, some extremely so. 
& it looks like they have completely changed the ending from the book. 

Tim Cruise’s film is more accurate than this. 
Jeff Wayne remains my favourite adaptation 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Orson!!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In all my years, I’ve only managed to hear a couple of minutes of the Orson Wells radio version.
I really must put some effort in to track it down (is this where people tell me it has been readily available for years?).

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version