Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: A Friend... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Christopher Reeve gave us a pretty much definitive Superman, tho I confess a preference for George Reevesí no-nonsense Clark Kent.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm not ashamed to admit that ever since Reeve's accident, and especially after his death, I tear-up like a baby every time at his delivery and gentle smile of "A friend."

Edited by Shaun Barry on 29 September 2019 at 8:46am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 September 2019 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

SUPERMAN -THE MOVIE has scenes in it that have gotten my waterworks going since first viewing. Lately, tho, the tears start with the first note of the soundtrack.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2019 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Reeves was my first Superman, and I've lost no affection for his performance, or for the TV show. I too prefer his Clark Kent. My first pair of eyeglasses, at the tender age of 5, I chose precisely because I wanted to look like his Clark Kent! And, man, just that opening theme, the music, the visuals, the narration... it's perfect to me. But something about Christopher Reeve's performance can make me very emotional. And, oh, the soundtrack! Lump in throat, tears in eyes!

In retrospect, I think that George Reeves' Superman was the kind of superhero I wanted as a child. He was simply invincible. Even his Clark Kent showed it, with his knowing wink and lopsided grin! But Christopher Reeve's Superman was the kind of superhero I liked more as an adult: not a strange visitor from another planet but... a friend!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2019 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I understand why one might prefer George Reeves' version of Clark Kent, but Reeves -- unlike Reeve -- really made me believe that Lois Lane was never going to suspect that Kent and Superman were the same person. 

Totally different body language, voice pitch, the whole nine yards. Reeve really did play two different people sharing the same body, one of whom -- "mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper" -- was a total fabrication. 

You will believe a man can act.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version