Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: ‘Hogan’s Heroes’ Sequel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Fun fact about Hogan's Heroes:

Robert Clary, Werner Klemperer and John Banner, who played Lt. LeBeau, Colonel Klink and Sgt. Shultz, were all Jewish. So were most of the other actors who played recurring role Nazis. Klemperer had it in his contract that Klink could not be made sympathetic or come out on top, or he would quit. Banner (who was born in Austria) actually was a sergeant in World War II....in the U.S. Army.

Klemperer was an underrated actor, in my opinion. I don't believe anyone else could have played Klink better. Compare that to him playing a realistic, piece of *censored* Nazi bastard in JUDGEMENT IN NURMEBERG. Which, incidentally, William Shatner also puts in a damn fine performance in. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 19 September 2019 at 9:06pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

William Shatner is barely in NUREMBERG, but he does leave a memorable impression. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Bryan Eacret wrote:
I think my father's issues were mainly with making the Nazis so cartoonish. He thought it detracted from how horrible they were.

I think his issues are well founded.  If the Nazis are simply portrayed as stumbling idiots, unaware of the actual harm they are doing, then how "heroic" are the men who defeat them?  Shouldn't it be better to portray them for what they were?  Men who knew exactly what they were doing who gained great benefit, however short term, from the suffering of others?

I have no skin in the game.  I didn't love HOGAN'S HEROES as a kid even though I grew up with it (in syndication but still).  That said, I can see a segment of the population not responding all that well to a series that portrayed Germans as stumbling into the ultimate extermination, that being the Holocaust.  I get the sitcom approach of wanting to make fun of the SS, but in historical retrospect it doesn't prove to be a great avenue for success. 
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Another fact:

Robert Clary was in a real concentration camp during WWII.

As for this "sequel", why?  I love HOGAN'S HEROES, I own the complete DVD set of the series, but this "sequel" doesn't make sense.  It feels like it's a "work around" them being contractually unable to do a reboot.  There's really no reason to tie this to the HH.

What are they going to call this show?  "The New Hogan's Heroes"?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've often said that Hitler did the world a favor by killing himself. By the end of the War he had become a pathetic, broken old man (tho he was only 54), and if he had been captured and brought to trial like his accomplices, he would never have become the demonic super-villain that occupies such a prominent role in people's minds.

During the War Hitler and the Nazis were objects of ridicule. We mocked our enemies, portrayed them as fools and clowns.* Twenty years later, created by men who had lived through those years, HOGAN'S HEROES still operated from that perspective.

Google "World War 2 comic book covers" for a sampling of this common attitude.

* Only imaginary Nazis, such as the Red Skull, were allowed to be truly monsters.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version