Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The decline of words in comics. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh, my analysis is FAR from “optimistic”!
Back to Top profile | search

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think comics these days manage to combine a shortage of words with being talky. You get books where literally half the pages have no words at all, and other pages have back-and-forth dialogues crammed into single panels.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Stéphane Garrelie wrote:
I'ld rather say that the editors and writers suppose that the public doesn't read much books anymore, and try to make the comics as effortless to read as a tvshow or an action blockbuster are to watch.

That was my take on it too, except I'd suggest they're emulating movies more because they think movies are cool and comics are not, and/or movies are where they really want to work, and comics is their way of preparing.

I don't find the new look effortless at all, because modern artists tend to draw characters as though they're stuck in "action poses", which actually needs more words to describe what's going on.

I posted a page from FF#243 that I think is my happy middle ground. Take the words away, the action is still apparent. Add the words, and it makes it even better.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I’ll note too, from my writer’s perspective, that those two JOHN CARTER pages are an odd choice to illustrate this point. The first is a “conversation”, the second is a fight scene.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Comics with copious dialogue are fine by me as long as the dialogue has verisimilitude. If my reaction is "no, people simply don't talk like this, ever," I stop reading. 

Case in point...well, his initials are "BMB."

And to be honest, old X-MEN comics with Chris Claremont writing all the dialogue often make me wince. I understand that the "conventions" were different back then. But it's not just that Claremont (like Roy Thomas in his earliest Marvel writings) seemed to think that he was being paid by the word. Every time Colossus yells "By the White Wolf!" I shake my head.

It's not the same as "It's Clobberin' Time!" or "Hulk smash!!" or even "Oh my stars and garters!" It just isn't. It's an American's foolish idea of something a Russian would say. 

This is another reason why I wish JB had stayed on X-MEN and Claremont had gone off to write some other Marvel title.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This is another reason why I wish JB had stayed on X-MEN and Claremont had gone off to write some other Marvel title.

••

At the time, not an option. What I considered Chris' excesses--including scripting scenes and characters so far from what I intended--had so soured me on the characters I wanted nothing more to do with them. It was years before I would even consider doing X-Men convention sketches.

Thirty nine years later, tho.....

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The reason there are less words is because Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Claremont have already used up too much of the industry's allowed allotment.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Very funny, Brian.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think Brian is right (by being funny). When I read current comics (in collected editions from the library) I find them to be wordy. I think writers write and when you have writers like Bendis or Hickman or Snyder they write talky books. When I think back to early Marvel I feel like you had two fights an issue and some talking/exposition between the fights. 

Also, books are written differently now because they are not tied down to explaining what happened last issue -- that could lead to less text? And no thought balloons may also change the way writers write? Of course, my analysis is not scientific in any way...

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Chuck Dixon uses the guideline that a super hero/action comic should have three action sequences per issue - not necessarily all out wars, mind you, but three different scenes of action/motion.

I tend to agree.

I think there's probably too much banter in newer comics, I'd rather there was less cute dialogue and more captions that dig into the depth and themes of the characters and stories.

Too many writers seem to want comics to be movies, but the strength of the medium is that you can BOTH read and 'watch' a story. At least, to me.

I will say, mostly reading non-super hero books, the balance feels better overall in the books I read.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Writing expository dialogue that isn't awkward strikes me as very tough to do. Lots of writers in "the old days" did it and, in retrospect, it reads as "corny." But JB is good at it. (I think of the "Host" two-part story in SUPERMAN where Clark wakes up, all groggy, and tries to remember what happened yesterday, with all the exposition in thought balloons -- neat trick.) 

James Williamson is doing a good job of it in THE FLASH, and Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV are doing their best in JUSTICE LEAGUE. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version