Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Christian Bible 101 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But He is also a god of mercy, and so He sent his Son--one third of his triune being to fulfill His love, justice, and mercy.

=====

A "gift" that has not and does not make a lick of sense to billions and billions and billions of people, generation after generation for the past two thousand years -- and yet without excepting that "gift"... ETERNAL DAMNATION.

••

And it's Jesus, Prince of Peace, who gives us our clearest picture of the torment that awaits us.

Even Believers can't get around THAT.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

From that link you included, JB:

QUOTE:
Leslie Schmucker retired from public school teaching...

Er, praise Jesus!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Matthew 21

18 Now in the morning as [Jesus] returned into the city, he hungered.

19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

20 And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!

21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

That little story pretty much sums up the Christian God and kid, for me. Here we have the fig tree, minding its own business, not doing anything wrong, but it gets blasted to oblivion for failing to be in fruit out of season. And when his disciples call him on it, Jesus offers an utterly preposterous scenario to justify his petty actions.

Didn't occur to him to just pray the fig tree into fruit, surely child's play compared to moving mountains. Son of God! Son of a bitch, more like!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

To those bothered by the passages about treating slaves well, would you rather those passages WEREN'T there?  (And, of course, in the context of time and place, free men might sell themselves as "bondservants" or slaves for seven years or life.  Paul himself considered himself a bondservant of the Lord.)

Eric, to steal from Matt Dillahunty, would you be my slave under the rules laid down in Exodus 21? That I can beat you as long as you don't die within a  couple of days?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric J., thank you for discussing this with us.

Eric J.: "God gave believers and non-believers alike a conscience.  Some people just choose to ignore their conscience."

I believe I have a conscience, and I'm not a bad person (as far as I know.) When I hold a door open for someone, or donate to charity, or sit and listen to someone who desperately needs a listener, I do it with no question of God's intervention on my part coming to my mind. I do it because I think it's the right thing to do.

Eric J.: "Jesus went to Hell to "free the captives" held there--that was part of His redeeming mission."

That might be part of the confusion in language... when Jesus went to Hell, was that the alternative to Heaven (a literal descriptive) or to the corrupted Earth (a figurative descriptive.)

And two questions for you. First, which bible is right? Which is the true Word of God, and how can we tell? I would be saddened (and, I guess, accompanied) by, say, the Baptists who follow their bible faithfully, and act with good heart and good spirit to exalt the low, support the weak, and bring low the unfaithful and greedy.

Second, what of those incapable of understanding the Word? Those who are incapable of hearing the Word, or learning it, or who perish before they can comprehend God's message? They are doomed even as they are created.

Again, thank you for your honest interpretations and replies.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

but I sort of expect evil to pretend to be good.  

Sounds like a description of God.

I still think the theory that the devil wrote all of these "good" books makes the most sense.  Or, maybe Loki.  They are confusing, contradictory, ever-changing and promote evil deeds.  On top of the idea that they demand blind faith.

Any entity that demands we not use our own brains and judgment seems to obviously be pulling a fast one. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hi Eric S.!  To answer your questions...

About the conscience--
Yes, that was my point.  (Sorry, JB, for phrasing it in such a way that you thought I was insulting you.)  Everybody has a conscience (except, I suppose, sociopaths), and I believe that is God's way of talking to EVERYBODY whether they believe in Him or not.  That's the basic foundation of knowing good and bad.

About Jesus going to Hell--
Well, I really shorthanded that.  The scripture teaches that He went to "Abraham's bosom," which seems to have been a sort of "holding cell" or waiting room for the dead, and He led those there out of it.  As for who's there now, I don't know.  I admit, eschatology is not my strong suit.  I don't know if everybody is literally "asleep" until Judgment Day or if those who have passed are awake doing stuff right now.  But one day, Hell itself will be thrown into the Lake of Fire (which was created for the Devil and his angels--who had full knowledge of God and sinned anyway).  It's up to God who is in Hell when it gets tossed and I'm not going to assume anything.

About which Bible--
Do you mean translations?  Most translations get the important stuff right (unless the translator is trying to be tricky on purpose).  You can come to knowledge of the true Christ even reading the Bible that Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons use.  (Cults are cults usually because they add ANOTHER book or work and hold it equal to the Bible.  Added teachings can really mislead.)

About those who haven't heard about Christ--
There are a lot of different schools of thought on this, debated for 2,000 years now by wiser men than me.  Here are some of my random thoughts on the matter:
1. "Snakebite"--I liken salvation to being bitten by a poisonous snake.  Say, everybody in a valley is dying from the dame kind of snakebite and a Healer comes to town and offers everybody the antitoxin.  Those who accept it are saved, those who don't aren't.  Is it the Healer's fault that a bunch of the people rejected the antidote?
2. "Age of Accountability"--This teaching is that children cannot be held responsible for their sins because they are spiritually and positionally innocent until a certain age (that age is debated though), truly not knowing good and evil,.and therefore fall under Grace.
3. The Mars Hill Sermon--In Athens, Paul preached on how he saw the statue with the inscription "To An Unknown God" and he attributed righteousness to the people that were praying to the one true God without even knowing it.  This is where the conscience comes in and the possibility that people can worship the God of the Bible without ever having seen a Bible.
4. The Chinese written language--God reaches different people in different ways.  I read a fascinating book (the title escapes me) that showed how the Gospel message is under the noses of a billion Chinese people right now in the form of their pictogram written language!  Some examples: The word "Tempter" is represented by combined pictures that, separately, say "secret" "man" "in the garden"; "salvation" has a lamb in it; "woman" is pictured as a hand reaching into the side of a man; and the word for "boat" has 8 people on it, like Noah's ark, the first boat.
5. Dreams--Even in locked countries where the Gospel is not permitted, the Word of Salvation reaches people.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard (directly from missionaries I was in contact in through my old job, and from other sources) about Muslims who have a dream where Jesus appears (they often don't even know it was Him until they come to the West and learn about Jesus for the first time) and shares his salvation message with them.

To those ready to pounce, sorry I don't have all the answers.  (The fig tree was a lesson to the Disciples about Israel, by the way.  And, no, Robbie, I don't want to be a slave in the Middle East 2-4,000 years ago.)  And I'm not here to get beat up by you all.  I just popped in and saw Marc Baptiste's earnest question and thought I'd try to help.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 13 September 2019 at 9:27am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You can come to knowledge of the true Christ even reading the Bible that Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons use.

•••

Arrogant much?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
Is it the Healer's fault that a bunch of the people rejected the antidote?

Anti-"vaxxers," stupid enough to invite "death," oh well! Oh, and the hell with their kids too!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If Jesus had done his job properly, there wouldn’t be a single human on Earth who would not fully embrace the message. You know, Son of God, Path to Salvation. Important that everyone gets it.

But he cocked it up so badly even people who actually heard him speak rejected him. (Which necessitated some serious rethinking of Messianic “prophecy”. Warrior of Bronze who will drive the infidels into the sea? No, make that a weak preacher who’ll get killed after only three years on the job. Yeah. That’s what we meant to say.”)

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
The Chinese written language--God reaches different people in different ways.  I read a fascinating book (the title escapes me) that showed how the Gospel message is under the noses of a billion Chinese people right now in the form of their pictogram written language!  Some examples: The word "Tempter" is represented by combined pictures that, separately, say "secret" "man" "in the garden"; "salvation" has a lamb in it; "woman" is pictured as a hand reaching into the side of a man; and the word for "boat" has 8 people on it, like Noah's ark, the first boat.

This is a new one for me. Let's see...

Tempter - 試探
Secret - 秘密
Man - 人
Garden - 花園

Boat - 船
People - 人
eight - 八

Woman - 女人
Man - 人

Salvation - 救恩
Lamb - 羊肉

And billions of Chinese are doomed to eternal damnation for not cracking this code. Stupid ignorant bastards. Hopefully they will be able to crack this during their dream state. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thanks Neil!

This is something that has fascinated me for as long as I can remember. Believers—no matter what the belief—will trot out stories that happen in (usually) inaccessible countries and/or languages. “You know, the Dogon people of Africa have incredibly detailed star maps...”. Or they do until someone who knows what s/he’s talking about looks at them.

Etc...

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version