Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Christian Bible 101 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And God gave it to us in strange way...

Here's the basic situation as I see it from looking at biblical, historical, mythical, and even linguistic sources.

After the worldwide Flood disaster, people repopulated and settled in one area that came to be known as Babel.  They had full knowledge of God and the antediluvian world (which had become totally evil) and its fate.  Over time, they joined together to rebel against their Creator, but perhaps the leaders had undue influence so instead of destroying the people, God had mercy and simply scattered them to other areas (in families and clans) and separated their language into many.  As the people spread out and started new empires across the world, they started to forget God; some totally, others in bits and pieces; some on purpose, others not.  When the loss of the knowledge of God in the world reached a tipping point, God reached out to Abraham to preserve the full faith.  Thus, knowledge of God was not lost from this world, but was passed down to Moses and the Israelites, to whom God gave the Law, which Moses wrote down so that it would not be forgotten again.

So, depending on what was forgotten by each people group (or that simply sounds different in the different languages), some peoples and lands remember in different degrees a Creator-God, the first man and woman in a garden, the promise of the "seed of the woman" that would save mankind from the Devil, the man who built an ark to escape the world flooding, and more.

It's not that God is hiding all this--it was all clear at the beginning, but people stray.  So, during times of great forgetfulness, He steps in to remind us, sometimes subtly (hence faith).  Maybe God didn't want this natural world to be constantly full of the supernatural, which is what would the case would be if there was obvious proof of Him staring everyone in the face every day--if He verbally said "Hello" from the sky every morning or if there was video footage of Him at Mt. Sinai or of Jesus walking on water.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 15 September 2019 at 2:39am
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eric,

God, at least to Christians, IS supernatural (beyond the natural) - your last comment "Maybe God didn't want this natural world to be constantly full of the supernatural" - is like saying God didn't want this world to be full of Him and His.

Marc

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Good point!  I meant, of course, obvious vs. unobvious, covert vs. overt, subtle vs. blatant.  God could put ten-foot angels guarding every corner (and I've known some very spiritual people who claim to have seen such beings strategically positioned!) but He doesn't (at least not obviously).  That would settle a lot of doubts--but probably freak a lot of people out.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 15 September 2019 at 3:20am

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's not that God is hiding all this--it was all clear at the beginning, but people
stray. So, during times of great forgetfulness, He steps in to remind us,
sometimes subtly (hence faith++++++

This is making my head swim,
so my understanding is that faith is a belief without requiring proofso the she
steps in to remind us with....nothing?

If there is a proof to justify faith, why hasn't anyone informed the the scientific
establishment? If you have actual proof, I believe they would accept it. .

Edited by Paul Kimball on 15 September 2019 at 4:04am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Actually, there's a difference between "blind faith" and faith.  You have faith in someone you trust, someone who has proven worthy of your trust.  I have a lot of proof for my faith in God--answered prayers (ridiculously specific answered prayers!), healings (for myself, my friends, my family), miracles (little personal miracles and some that are bigger), words of the Lord that came true, and more.  But none of that is proof that the scientific community would likely accept.

Of course, intellectual "proof" like the over 300 prophecies in the Old Testament that point to Jesus of Nazareth as the long-awaited Messiah don't hurt either.

What I meant by "God stepping in to remind us" was big things like everything He did with Abraham, Moses and the Exodus (a whole population of slaves was allowed to leave their enslavers to start their own country), amazing feats of Samson and Elijah, and Jesus coming in person and performing miracles for three years in front of a total of thousands of witnesses; and also little things like reaching into individual lives and healing them of an illness or drug addiction.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 15 September 2019 at 4:33am

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:
Koroush, I see evidence of God everywhere--in nature, in history, in language, in my daily life. I can't get through a day without God proving Himself to me.

When I look at nature for example, I see almost conclusive proof that a benevolent God does not exist.

Unless you mean that:

- animals daily having to literally tear each apart and eat each other while still alive to continue existing;

- organisms that are designed to cause suffering and pain to other creatures for no apparent reason other than their own survival (e.g., bacteria, parasites); and

- miscellaneous atrocities, such as severe deformities, parents eating their children, populations spiraling out of control, only to be held in check by misery-causing famine and disease...

are all signs of God's love.

Looking at some aesthetically pleasing or complex aspect of nature, marveling at its beauty or intricacy, and imagining that it was created just for your enjoyment by a kindly old man in the sky, instead of refusing to acknowledge literally millions of years of suffering and evolution that lead to that particular thing existing today, doesn't count as evidence.

As for miracles, the power of faith, prayers, etc. I believe the website Why Won't God Heal Amputees puts this notion to rest with a simple test of the Bible's own logic. Here's a summary.

I submit that you and other "faithful" people see what you want or need to see, not a true reflection of reality. The reality is that there is absolutely no independently verifiable evidence that God, or even Jesus, exist(ed). A case could possibly be made that a mischievous or malicious God exists, but even that would be difficult to prove conclusively because of the truly random nature of the Universe.

The standard of evidence you're using is equivalent to having someone in 2,000 years' time cite ancient copies of Superman comics as proof that a superior being visited this planet and performed all manner of amazing feats to aid mankind.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think we can discuss relevance of the Bible and religions...

Opposing proofs than God exists or doesn't is non sense because faith is not something you can debate. Nothing to do with science.

I'm surrounded by people who believe in various degrees in God.

I don't.

Sometimes I point out inconsistencies and contradictions in the Old Testament.

Even if they can see it they won't lose their faith, you see.

Apparently there is more than just following blindly some old writings...

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
Apparently there is more than just following blindly some old writings...

There is. 

Eric Jansen above has stated that, inter alia, the natural world is evidence of the God he believes in. Not "a" god, but "the" God, i.e., his God. So, when Koroush counters with an undeniably accurate description of the brutal, cruel violence of the natural world, Eric's faith is undisturbed.

Why?

Koroush (the non-believer) and Eric (the believer) would likely agree that morality in the non-human natural world is unnatural. The former without multiplying hypotheses simply observes its absence, and the latter too sees it missing but describes that absence as "fallen" nature, i.e., the brutal, cruel violence of the natural world fits into Eric's belief system because it validates his religious hypothesis.

And what is that hypothesis?

Morality, which (as far as we know) only humans experience, only by choice, as something fundamentally contrary to nature, i.e., as something unnatural remains evident, even if in all divergent ways, among all humans of all times, and must therefore be supernatural. It is a matter of faith, no doubt. (Pun)

It is not shaken due to a believer's observing the brutal, cruel violence of the natural world because a believer does not want to stop there. The believer wants to "understand" reality further, that is, credo ut intelligam, I believe so that I may understand, belief is primary.

Why?

Because if a believer does not believe that unnatural morality is supernatural, then the only way to look at existence is ultimately as something brutal, cruel, and violent. Yet, a believer does not believe (this is faith) that that is the ultimate. There is undeniably, the believer observes, in life... kindness, generosity, caring, love. Is that all a matter of billions of years of evolutionary biology? Apparently, yes. But ultimately, no. 

The believer believes that human life is lived superiorly -- infinitely and even eternally, but even if not that, just as matter of our short time on earth -- by believing that the morality we have introduced into nature is not a mere evolutionary accident but more necessary to the state of reality that all physical laws combined. Believing this, the believer avers, opens the believer up to the glory of existence, not just apparent, but down to the root, and thus not subject to being contradicted by the most obvious inglorious evidence of appearances.

Science has no substitute for that religious feeling because the "proofs" that cannot -- must not! -- be disproved are fundamentally irrelevant to science.

So, while Koroush is most certainly right, Eric in his own certainty can't be wrong -- he, the believer, just doesn't want to be wrong, and while he may not have every possible explanation either to prove science wrong or prove his faith right, he knows -- based on his beliefs, faith being primary -- that the life he's leading as a believer is superior to that of the non-believer.

It's not only a matter of religious intransigence; it's a matter of religious transcendence.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

David: "Apparently there is more than just following blindly some old writings..."

Yes, God broke into my life in amazing ways when I was a teen and not even looking for Him.  It was His presence in my daily life that led me to the Bible, not the other way around.

Koroush: "created just for your enjoyment by a kindly old man in the sky" "A case could possibly be made that a mischievous or malicious God exists"

Oh, these caricatures again.  (They do seem prevalent here.)  I wish I could show you guys the amazing, glorious being I understand God to be, the God that's bigger than your imaginations, not smaller.

And if you're going to criticize the God of the Bible, it's only fair that you look at the entire revelation.  All the death you speak of was not the original plan and only came about, according to Genesis, by Adam's free will disobedience ("By one man, death came into the world...") in an act that he was warned against.  And, according to Revelation, that death will not be a part of the restored world and illness will not be a part of restored Man.  It's all temporary.

A lot of the misconception here is that this world should be perfect and that, because it's not, that's proof that God is either evil or imaginary.  This is not Heaven, nor is it Hell--this is the middle ground where good and bad things can happen.  If death were not possible, then bravely facing death would also not be possible.  Courage can only exist where there are consequences.  Only here, could a David face down a Goliath.  Overcoming and redemption are only possible in a world where bad things can happen to you or by you.  There are a lot of things that only weak, dying, frail man can do that simply won't be an issue in the perfect "New Jerusalem" the Bible says is on its way.  I'm not saying that God planned it that way or wanted mankind to fall, but I can understand why He didn't wipe us out and start over again.  In the whole of eternity, I think the universe can handle a few thousand years of adventure, courage. and overcoming.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 September 2019 at 5:40am

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric,

When dealing with an omnipotent, OMNISCIENT God... you can't with a straight face say things like "was not part of the original plan."

Marc

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So in heaven there is no free will?

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What is going on here, honestly?

Eric, I have no idea where you're getting this stuff from. God DID wipe things out and start all over again, the flood, remember?

But then again, are we actually having a serious debate about the concept that an omniscient, omnipotent God could not, or did not want to, create one which was perfect? He wanted there to be pain and suffering, because...it's a test? Of what, our "free will" as Peter puts it?

What chance, or free will, do deformed or massively brain damaged babies get to exercise? Do they automatically fail the test and lose their eternal souls if they die of their deformities within a few days? Or do they battle it out for years in vegetative, painful ignorance to earn their place in heaven?

THINK what you're saying Eric.

People who get beheaded, raped, torn to bits in war, are being "tested"? God wants it this way, or can't intervene - and yet he's willing to brazenly come to you and save you or mischievously sends us signs in ancient characters and weeping Mary statues? That's your benevolent God? What's he playing at mate. This is worse than absurd, it's insultingly malevolent.

Or, alternatively, as Michael so kindly puts it, you've "transcended" logic and reality, and live in a fantasy world.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version