Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Terrance Dicks (1935 - 2019) Writer and Script-Editor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 02 September 2019 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Green. The colour of monsters is always green."

As one of the generation of children who know that the noise made by the TARDIS is best described as a "wheezing, groaning sound", I was saddened to hear of the death of Terrance Dicks. He joined the production staff of Doctor Who as a script-editor at the tail-end of Patrick Troughton's time and co-wrote the second Doctor's epic finale The War Games. He remained in the post for all five seasons of Jon Pertwee's run and then wrote Tom Baker's debut Robot. His final script was the 20th Anniversary story The Five Doctors.

Alongside Enid Blyton and Anthony "Jennings" Buckeridge, Terrance Dicks is the author whose work formed the biggest part of my childhood reading outside of comics. In the days before home video, the Target Books range of Doctor Who novelizations were the only way to relive the old stories and he was by far the most prolific contributor.

I met him a few times and he was always great company. I once went to his home to shoot an interview for a Reeltime Pictures production about sexism in Doctor Who. He made many convention appearances and often formed a great double-act with his friend and colleague Barry Letts who was Producer during the Pertwee years.

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version