Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie -Spoilers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I been watching season 1 of BCS its interesting to see how quickly Jimmy  McGill slips into Slippin Jimmy so fast the real prison for Saul may be Gene that inability to change back to Saul or Jimmy or Slippin Jimmy ... I don't think persona of Gene can last.  Has anyone done a timetable of when (timeline wise) Gene is into relation to El Camino and Felina?

Walt was hiding for at least a full winter comes back kills the nazis Jesse escapes ... and you have assume its a national story that Gene would be aware of ... w Walt dead and Jesse MIA I wonder if that will relax Gene into some kinda bad decision?
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't think we've been given any solid contextual clues as to how long after "Felina" (and EL CAMINO) the Omaha segments take place. Could be months, could be years.

At the very least, Gene is balder than Saul was, but that simply may be because he's eschewed the combover-mullet as a part of his disguise.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I assume it's left ambiguous deliberately -- and it can work as happening before "Felina", at around the same time as EL CAMINO, or it can happen years afterward.   

One thing we don't know is how much the 'Hoover Deluxe' service includes beyond a new ID, a new backstory, and getting you the hell out of Dodge.  If Gene is managing a Cinnabon he either worked his way to the top there (takes months-years) or the Omaha Cinnabon employees got a memo on Friday that Corporate was sending them a new manager on Monday -- implying there was a ready made job waiting for someone, and someone else willing to give up that manager job.   

Which do you think is more likely?   

(I tend to fall on the 'new manager Monday' theory side of things, but that also means Ed's connections must be pretty far and wide and the outgoing Cinnabon manager is a potential loose end)

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 22 October 2019 at 11:27pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That began as a throwaway line from Saul, but then Gilligan and Gould thought it would be hilarious if he really did end up managing a Cinnabon. There could be an in-story explanation that the idea sat with Saul and he requested if Ed could set him up with such a gig. Ed would have charged extra for that, of course!

It would have been great to see a flashback in BETTER CALL SAUL showing him getting out of the van in Omaha for the first time, to show the contrast with Jesse's escape in EL CAMINO. But sadly, that can't happen with Bob Forster's death.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, turning Saul's sarcastic joke about him ending up as a Cinnabon manager into a reality was a little on-the-nose, but it could easily be explained away as Ed telling Saul where and how he'd be set up for his new life before Saul's chat with Walt. I definitely get the vibe that Saul would not have picked that life, if he'd had the choice.

And I, too, was thinking about the impact of Forster's death on BCS. I'm sure they'll be able to work around it. Plenty of directions to go in without bringing Ed back in via flashback (or in Gene's present-day or whatever).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

...also, I now find it a little strange to refer to him as "Saul", because we've gotten to know Jimmy McGill so very well!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Same here, but we are talking post-BB so Saul it is!

I watched "Granite State" after El Camino, and I was reminded that Ed did explicitly tell Saul that he was going to Omaha, so the only stretch is the occupation.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

At the end of the day, it’s a stretch I’m more than happy to buy, because the Cinnabon scenes in BCS have all been fantastic, and I look forward to seeing where it’s all leading. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Felina takes place in 2010 or close to it... so I doubt at that point Cinnabon would have extensive background checks (or any) and the food service industry is way lax in background and drug testing (if they drug test or even do a background check) and in Cinnabon isn't exactly a job most people seek out even as management ... Ed would have to what build him a resume w the new identity created a few fake references that again prob weren't called so Ed made a few calls maybe bullshitted a HR person who was prob just happy to fill the position.  

Jesse wanted Alaska he got Alaska 
Saul makes a off hand comment about Cinnabon Ed not a guy we see have a sense of humor prob thought well if thats what he wants ...
Walt was a client that Ed had never dealt w the amount of heat nor did Walt make any type of I want to go here or there so he ends where Ed decided was the most secure and farthest from New Mexico

So to me it al fits w what we have seen 

Edited by John Harrison on 26 October 2019 at 9:05am

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think I've given enough buffer time for people who havent seen EC to not be accidentally spoiled.   I've had a few thoughts rolling around in my head for the better part of a week...

(In the much-loved bullet point form because I don't feel like making full paragraphs today)

*Jim White's "Static On The Radio" was a freaking pitch-perfect way to end the film.  I've always been awed by Vince Gillian's musical choices for BB and EL CAMINO is no exception.   There's a weird synchrony here because right from the pilot with Mick Harvey's cover of Mano Nega's "Out Of Time Man" just grabbed me and I find Vince either picks music that I already listen to or he ends up introducing me to artists that by all rights I should be listening to.  Far too many hack producers pick songs for just one or two lyrics that fit a scene or lazily pick overused clichéd music and let that set the mood instead of directing. Gilligan's song selections more often than not suit the scene lyrically and compliment the stunning visuals that BB has become famous for.

*The real tragedy of the film is that Jesse is suffering from extreme PTSD (literally, 'static on the radio' of his brain) and there's no way for him to seek proper help without being arrested or killed.   Ironically, of the three people we've seen take advantage of the vanishing service Jesse is the only one who actually wants to be where he ends up.   Both Walter and Saul end up in their own private hells where they can't be their true selves (this is especially true of Saul/Jimmy) and they are effectively walking dead -- alive but not living.   The opposite happens to Jesse -- he finds solace and his true self after he disappears.

*There's now some ambiguity to Lydia's death with the radio report of her "not expected to survive" versus what seemed like a definitive 'shes toast' scene in "Felina".   Ricin's potency is diminished by stomach acid when administered orally.   Those who do survive end up with significant comorbidities and dimished quality of life.   Shades of Hector Salamanca?

*I'm saddend to hear that Robert Forster (Ed Galbraith, aka the Vanisher) passed away from cancer the day EL CAMINO was released.  One hopes they had the foresight to shoot some Ed scenes for the next season of BCS.  I found it somewhat amusing that Bob himself was a vacuum cleaner salesmen before becoming an actor -- and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bob had suggested the front for the 'cleaner' service be a hiding-in-plain-sight vacuum cleaner shop to Vince.

*There's a subtler subtext to Ed denying Jesse service until paid (double) in full beyond the obvious bad precedent show of weakness by giving a criminal a break (meaning that someone else will want a similar deal once word gets out).   Ed is like Charon of Greek mythology ferrying souls of the dead into the afterlife.   The underworld doesn't make change -- you must pay with a full coin.   Charon's vessel is sometimes described as a rust-coloured skiff and it's probably a coincidence that Ed drives a burgundy minivan (OR IS IT?).  Charon is sometimes depicted as a haggard bearded old man with hollow eyes and a no-nonsense dispostion.   Sure sounds like Ed.  

*Just in case anyone was wondering if there was any hidden meaning in the name 'Edward Galbraith':  Edward means "rich guardian" -- and he does closely guard the vanishing service while getting quite wealthy.  Galbraith means "british stranger" or "foreign briton".

*Ed mentions that Walter and Saul "have made their own luck" which some have taken as a clue as to the fate of Cinnabon Gene (and the timing of his scenes relative to EL CAMINO).  I tend to think he was speaking more in general terms.   The vanishing service in and of itself is a risky proposition.   Think about this: If Ed does his job correctly then no one you know hears from you ever again -- you are effectively dead (again, back to the Charon analogy).   You have to trust this stranger with your life and he could easily just take your money and dispose of you -- and no one would be the wiser.   In "Granite State" Walter is paranoid that when he dies Ed might just take his money instead of giving it to his family -- the irony is that Ed could have already done that!  Walter can't even see the forest for the trees.

*[BCS theory time] I have a feeling that Jimmy/Saul first took advantage of the vanishing service to help Kim, and that Ed's remark about Saul "making his own luck" is in reference to him knowing that while he and Kim are safe they can't contact one another.   There are hells and then there are private hells. [/BCS theory time]

*You have to wonder what drives a character like Ed to do what he does and why do the recipients of his 'service' end up both physically and metaphorically in places that are opposite to the 'heat' of New Mexico.   I suspect Ed was either the recipient of a similar service or he originated the NM flavor of the service to pay forward his good fortune.   Money doesn't seem to be prime the motivator -- it's like the cost is set abritrarily high to weed out those who aren't serious rather than as a way to make cash.   I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that Ed was originally from somewhere cold and perhaps gets a kick out of sending people who want to disappear to places he's already been.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 29 October 2019 at 7:11pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Cinnabon thing is actually pretty easily explained.  Cinnabon is franchised.  Meaning if that Cinnabon had a manager opening, it would have been posted by the local franchise owner.  That's the kind of job you can easily apply for over the internet using the new 'Gene' credentials.  That would have culminated in a phone interview.  Saul was there before Walt, so presumably, he could have just gotten off the phone from that interview when he was speaking to Walt.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm saddend to hear that Robert Forster (Ed Galbraith, aka the Vanisher) passed away from cancer the day EL CAMINO was released.  One hopes they had the foresight to shoot some Ed scenes for the next season of BCS. 
++++++++

I wouldn’t be too surprised by this, since Mike’s cameo was presumably shot during the filming of season four of BCS, while Jonathan Banks was already hanging around ABQ for his work on that show.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version