Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie -Spoilers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Vince Gilligan is a genius.  Its amazing that they filmed this thing without word leaking out.  Its amazing that they added to a pretty close to perfect show and legitimately added to it without taking away anything.  Its amazing that the Jesse Pinkman character was originally supposed to die after his first few appearances.

TLDR; Its amazing.
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I thought it was... ok?

It's not bad by any means but I still felt slightly underwhelmed. 

I hoped there was a big idea behind this that would justify making a movie 6 years later but I didn't find it here.

It gives Jesse's character closure I guess, but that's just about it. It felt by-the-numbers, the moments you're supposed to feel tense just didn't work for me in the way those moments in the original show did. 

But it isn't bad and it doesn't harm the original show in any way. It just isn't nearly as good an addition as BETTER CALL SAUL is.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I agree with Steve on all points.

Still digesting this. I’ll wait awhile for spoiler talk.

I had a feeling this would be more of a cherry on top of BREAKING BAD than a reinvention of the wheel, or the setup for more stories down the road. It accomplishes exactly what it was clearly designed to do—cross the “t”s and dot the “i”s on Jesse’s story. That was the only expectation I had going in, and it was most definitely satisfied.

The joy of this movie is in the methodical plotting and the filmmakers’ trust in the audience’s intelligence. Everything slowly unfolds and fits together with jigsaw-puzzle precision. All of the proper clues are in place to figure out where the various flashbacks fit in, and what story purposes they serve. All of the story points, cameos, and plot developments make perfect sense, and are deeply rooted in the continuity of the show, particularly “Granite State” and “Felina”, as well as “Say My Name” and “Four Days Out”. 

Tons of careful and deliberate nods to existing continuity, here. Multiple viewings will no doubt be rewarded. It’s really a very simple and straightforward story, and the ending is telegraphed literally in the first scene (and was blatantly telegraphed by Gilligan many times over the past six years), but it’s still a joy to see the last piece of BREAKING BAD finally click into place. 

The movie is stylistically related to BREAKING BAD, of course, but it really is it’s own thing. Familiar elements like the music and the high- speed time-lapses are there, but this movie really is a MOVIE. Shot in anamorphic widescreen, and not dependent on all of the traditional BREAKING BAD-style shots and whatnot. It’s a simple story told in a complex way, and it’s quite grim and dark. 

The last line of dialogue perfectly sums up the entire point of Jesse’s arc in the show, and gives it a real emotional resonance. This same point was there in “Felina”, yes, but this reiteration of the idea is even more poignant. It hits closer to home, here, despite being less direct than in “Felina”, if that makes sense. More to come when we get into spoilers.

Was this a necessary epilogue? On an emotional level, no. We saw Jesse escape in “Felina”, and that was perfectly satisfactory. But, in terms of the nuts-and-bolts attention to detail which the show is so well known for...well, yeah. I think we kinda needed this loose end properly tied up. The movie only expands on what we know (and in very clever and entertaining ways), rather than retconning or ruining it. I think anyone going in hoping for some crucial lost piece of the puzzle will be disappointed. This is a button-up, a cherry on top. An underlining of the ending we already had. And it’s great.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

...and I just read that Robert Forster died. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, sad he died on the day of release, but a nice
epitaph. R.I.P.
I enjoyed it, great direction and cinematography, and a
fitting send off for Jesse, the cameos were just icing
on the cake.
I must say, i don`t know what some people were
expecting, seeing as most of the main characters from BB
are dead.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Exactly. This is basically a grim story about Jesse escaping from the wreckage and aftermath of BREAKING BAD and striving for something better. We get a few tidbits about some of the remaining characters, but that’s not what the story is about. It very much harkens back to the earliest days of the show, with that methodical attention to even the most mundane details and problems with being a criminal. We see every tortuous step in Jesse’s escape, and it’s all ruthlessly logical, even though each step isn’t explained right up front.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'll provide some opinions in a bit, but in the meantime, I LOVE this teaser (click on the video for sound): LINK

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 12 October 2019 at 12:37pm

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I enjoyed it. I think having a few years distance from the last time I've watched Breaking Bad reduced the impact for me. I did like how it was broken up into rough sections. And great use of camera angles and shot composition. Overall it worked.

It was easy to see that a decent amount of time had passed. Jesse Plemons as Todd and some of the other actors didn't exactly match the way they did before. It wasn't enough to ruin anything but it did affect how I viewed everything.

Overall. there were more positives than negatives for me here. It was a nice little epilogue for Jesse. I'm looking forward to more Better Call Saul though. That's the story that has interested me the last 4-5 years. And then maybe if they come up with a spinoff for Kim. Otherwise I'd say the Breaking Bad universe has run its course.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It should be noted that Gilligan originally envisioned this as a short film to be made as a gift for the fans in celebration of the show’s tenth anniversary, but it ended up mutating into an honest-to-gosh feature film. When taken with that intent in mind, the film achieves exactly what it set out to do: It’s nice gift for the fans which simply buttons up the story, and doesn’t retcon or ruin the ending of the show. It clearly wasn’t designed to be earth-shattering or game-changing. Just the cherry on top. A grace note.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A nice little cherry on the sunday of Breaking Bad.

It made me appreciate Jesse more a character I never really liked.  

I think its interesting to note the voices that shaped and haunted Jesse and then for him to get to Alaska and go its so quiet.  The moment w the bug the moment where Skinny Pete tells him he's his hero. The nice inclusion of a character from BCS.  I could nitpick but overall way better than most anything I have seen in awhile.  Did anyone else pick up on a Pulp Fiction vibe thru out esp in how it was shot and felt?

Since I started this thread I will declare it open to Spoilers at this point 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

EL CAMINO holds up as a solid couple of episodes of a show that was always above average; I doubt Gilligan and co. intended to make BREAKING BAD THE MOTION PICTURE anyway. After the wipeout from Game of Thrones, to paraphrase a line from Community, it was better than good; it was good enough. 

And the "Like the wild west" scene was a great moment of tension and explosion.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2019 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Did Jesse ever say the word ‘ Bitch’ in the movie?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version