Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Disney/Sony Reach Stalemate On Spider-Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about concerning Spidey leaving the MCU.
A Tom  Holland Spider-Man without Tony Stark being his mentor, no Spider-Armour with it's out-of-character "kill-mode", no ridiculous on-board A.I. in the regular Spidey-suit, and no Spider-man as an Avenger makes for a far more faithful Spider-Man.

Sony's got Venom, they're doing a Morbius movie, I'd rather see Spider-Man taking on more of his own villains than more Iron-Spider: junior Avenger.
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think the main concern is simply that Sony has made so many bad Spider-Man movies.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

First World problems...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sean, what's the point of that comment?

Why this thread and none of the others?

Non-first world problems are about where to get clean drinking water, lack of law and order, basic healthcare and so on... and those things are incredibly important to those affected, though I assume that's not you.

But even then, if  you didn't have indoor plumbing, access to basic healthcare or education, then this still wouldn't be a relevant place to place such a comment.

Your comments in the past have had a high incidence of aligning with my views, but I literally don't understand what you're adding to the discussion by saying that.

Edited by Peter Martin on 24 August 2019 at 6:51pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A Tom Holland Spider-Man without Tony Stark being his mentor, no Spider-Armour with it's out-of-character "kill-mode", no ridiculous on-board A.I. in the regular Spidey-suit, and no Spider-man as an Avenger makes for a far more faithful Spider-Man.Sony's got Venom, they're doing a Morbius movie, I'd rather see Spider-Man taking on more of his own villains than more Iron-Spider: junior Avenger.

Those are fair points -- but concerning Spidey leaving the MCU -- I'm just nervous that the absence of Feige will lead the franchise down a familiar path (Sony definitely ran the wall-crawler into the ground before partnering with Marvel Studios.) I've enjoyed MCU Spidey but I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions so far. Heck, In a few years, I'm sure another deal could be reached just in time for the next major MCU film event.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think Sony will eventually surrender to Disney, and give them a bigger piece of the pie. The shareholders will likely forgive Sony for making a little less money on the next MCU Spider-Man movie. There will be no forgiveness if Sony went back to making Amazing Spider-Man kind of money. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 24 August 2019 at 10:06pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

To Peter:

I usually try to keep my comments brief, succinct or fun, and I rarely try to get on any soapbox and/or diatribes, so my admittedly sarcastic, pithy comment was my way of saying (about this whole Sony/Marvel mess):  I just don't care.

But since you asked, I'll try to elaborate:  Like a lot of fans, I of course was a little shocked when the news first hit, and I rolled my eyes at all the back & forth shenanigans in the press, but it quickly seemed as if all this "news" was fast taking-on overly dramatic and ridiculous levels.  To the point where, I asked myself after a couple of days:  Who exactly are we supposed to be concerned for?  What are we really supposed to be upset about?

Tom Holland?  He's already got 2 Spidey films under his belt, with 3 other movie appearances.  Whether or not he ever plays Spider-Man again, he will continue to work, and he's left his mark on the character.

Marvel and/or Sony?  The two multi-billion-dollar corporations who are fighting to see who will make the most money possible off of the Spider-Man character?

The Spider-Man character itself?  Someone will still make movies... like any property that's been around this long, some will be good, some will be less so, one or two more might be great.  But even if they stopped making ANY films for the forseeable future starting tomorrow, you still have enough different iterations to last the rest of our lifetimes, without the need for a single new movie, animated series, spinoff, or comic book.  57 years worth of Spider-Man is a LOT to pick through.

Maybe this nonsense is hitting me at a peculiar time--like a lot of people, I have a lot of anxiety about EVERYTHING else going on in the world today--but I sense this is a whole bunch of sturm und drang about nothing... sound & fury, just for the sake of it.  We've been conditioned over the past 20 years or so to get worked-up about this sort of thing every month, and to fly to our keyboards to vent.  But to what purpose?

So yes, "First World problems" is a dig at the major players in this Spidey brouhaha, many (if not all) who will continue to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, regardless.  So with everything else to worry about, why should we lose any sleep about how they ultimately divvy-up the Spider-Man name?

Edited by Shaun Barry on 24 August 2019 at 10:29pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So yes, "First World problems" is a dig at the major players in this Spidey brouhaha, many (if not all) who will continue to live comfortably for the rest of their lives, regardless.  So with everything else to worry about, why should we lose any sleep about how they ultimately divvy-up the Spider-Man name?

———

On one hand, you are correct that there are more important problems going on right now. On the other hand, the need to jump into this thread discussing this particular problem to point it out was just unnecessary. When I don’t care about something, I /really/ don’t care and not comment at all. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2019 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Several months after 9/11, I think it was The Onion website that declared it safe for America to worry about stupid sh*t again. I care about what happens to Spider-Man, and I hope to care about him for a long while longer. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2019 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think (hope) that we all recognize that this bit of news is meaningless to all the bad stuff that goes on in the world. But discussing this bit of news on a forum hosted by one of the great comic book creators (I know not every member is a fan or even a comic book fan but I assume the majority are) in a section called "Movies" is a pretty appropriate place to have the conversation about Sony and Marvel "breaking up". 

Undoubtedly, there are people who are very upset and blowing the whole situation out of proportion but I don't think anyone in this forum has done that. Personally, I prefer Tom Holland and Spider-Man being handled by Marvel Studios because many of us grew up with Marvel continuity in the comics, it's fun to have it in movies. But nothing replaces the comics for me no matter how much I enjoy Marvel characters in other media.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 25 August 2019 at 6:49am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2019 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Disney should just buy Sony like they did Fox to get all the Marvel characters back under one roof. Although I think Universal has some of the Hulk movie rights as well. Marvel really screwed up when they licensed the movie rights to their characters to Sony and Universal and Fox indefinitely. 

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 26 August 2019 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wasn't Marvel on the verge of total financial collapse when they made the
agreements?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version