Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: The Morning Show Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

When I heard Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carrell were going to be in a series about a daytime show, I expected something a lot less...dreary.

This trailer made me want to run screaming to any episode of THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW. Your thoughts? 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Watched the trailer, and all I really came away with from all those out-of-order clips was that they wanted someone younger than Aniston’s character so the got... Witherspoon?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Great cast.  Sounds interesting.  Trailer didn't do much for me. That said, as the only new streaming service I'm adding will be Disney+, I'm afraid Apple was already on the short end of the stick. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Saw the trailer, thought it was a movie and looked interesting....then found out it was a series on Apple TV.

Netflix and Prime are the only streaming services I need. If I couldn't afford to keep the cable package I had and lost channels I did view, then why would I go spend more money on another streaming service?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A decade or more ago we had a long running debate here on the board that was also taking place in the real world: bundling vs à la carte.

Most came down on the side of à la carte, saying they wanted to pay for what they wanted to watch and not pay for what they didn't watch.  Entertainment companies heard that message loud and clear.  They were also ever so slowly moving to monetize their investments (movies, television, etc.) so that they got a bigger piece of the pie.  The collision of those two events, along with the hugely successful streaming service Netflix, got us where we are today.  

Whether or not there was any way to stop that train, I piped up and said à la carte was going to be bad for everyone. Say what you will about bundling, but it kept prices down and in-house to one provider.  No one listened (heh) and we are where we are.

At the end of the day, you still have a choice.  Want to watch THE MORNING SHOW but don't want to pay for yet another streaming service?  Rent or buy it from iTunes. They'll be only too happy to take the cost of nearly an entire year's subscription for a single series.  Don't want to watch it at all?  Cool.  No worries.  Don't!  Easy enough.  Or, let's be real, take advantage of what they'll eventually offer: sign up to try their service for a month free, watch the series you want to see, and then cancel it.  It's no different from what HBO has been doing for decades.  

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm going to have to start ping-ponging betweeen subscriptions and time my binging accordingly - sign up for HBO for one month, then cancel, then sign for Disney for one month, then cancel, etc.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Matt, signing up, binging and dumping is what I plan on doing with CBS All-Access once STAR TREK: DISCOVERY & PICARD are both over.

Not a damn thing else I want to see on there. I'm a huge fan of the original TWILIGHT ZONE, but most of the newer versions have been fairly disappointing, more miss than hit. (By comparison, the  old reboot of THE OUTER LIMITS was great, but that's an entirely different show.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Price
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2019 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Who the heck decided to take three of the most sparkling comedic actors of the last twenty years and put them in a drab, dull looking drama?  I got bored halfway through the trailer.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version