Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Sigourney Pryde? Kitty Weaver? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I remember Kitty was supposed to be a "genius," according to Claremont, when she first appeared. But I don't remember her doing anything in later X-MEN issues which would indicate that she was.

Anyone have a better memory than I do on this?

______

As far as her time with the X-Men, there were a couple. It started out milder, with little references to her being precocious, and ramped up over time.

When Claremont introduced Doug Ramsey as Kitty's friend from Salem Center, he established that the two of them had an aptitude for computers. Kitty was stronger with hardware, whereas Doug was stronger with software. They built a computer (it was the 80s) and hacked into a government server. Seemed like he was riffing on the movie "War Games", and this would have been 1983 or 1984, so the timing would have been about right. This was a pretty mild example, in retrospect.

Later on, Kitty was shown taking college level classes in the city, and at various times, she was shown tinkering with various gadgetry. 

Later on, in Excalibur, she became the team's resident "science whiz", repairing and kit bashing various macguffins as needed, and she was the only one who could make Widget go during the crosstime caper.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Seemed like he was riffing on the movie "War Games"…

••

Chris??

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...many related suggestions popped up including Summer Glau and Christina Ricci...

There was something bugging me about it for the longest time... when watching Firefly and SERENITY, there was a familiarity with Summer Glau that registered, but I just couldn't figure why. I hadn't seen her in anything else prior. 

I must have watched ALIEN or something and it finally clicked. Once I saw the resemblance between Weaver and Glau, I couldn't ever unsee it.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 20 August 2019 at 7:27am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And possibly the worst case of blatant exposition is when Kitty SAYS she's a genius, instead of showing it. In a sense, all of the X-Men are geniuses in one way or another; and I suspect that Xavier's curriculum taught them to be smarter.

On the other hand, the "genius" had to describe her ability to walk on air four or five times. In a caption, it would bother me some. But Kitty saying it so often made wonder if she couldn't remember it (as once or twice, she seemed surprised that she could do what she'd done previously.) I guess that every book is someone's first, but we didn't get the same repetition  from Nightcrawler about his disappearing in shadows, or Wolverine "learning" that his sense were so superior.

Still... we did read about Cyclops' deadly eyebeams when it was his turn to moon over Jean (the even issues of X-Men, I think. Reference "The Echhs-Men" from "Not Brand Echh", an overlooked classic. Marble Girl and Cylomps.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Chris can be forgiven for at least some of his heavy handed exposition. He was laboring in Shooter’s shadow, where everything had to be spelled out repeatedly. Shooter himself was still trapped in Mort Weisinger’s shade.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Doug Ramsey

And of course he was a mutant too, IIRC.

Don Z

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version