Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: GORMENGHAST to Showtime Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK

I have trouble being enthusiastic about this......

Back to Top profile | search

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember the last Gormenghast mini series tried hard to nail the tone of the books but never really pulled it off.  Maybe it's something that only works in print? 

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hadn't read Peake's work before seeing the 2000 telly adaptation when it was originally broadcast, and remember being vaguely embarrassed by it at first, but enjoying it more as it progressed.

Now that I've read the books (but not Titus Awakes), I'm torn between wanting a decent adaptation of them and dread of yet another botched job.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I came tp the Gormenghast trilogy via Tolkien. Having been thorough blown away by THE LORD OF ThE RINGS I was looking for more epic works, something that woud take me more than a couple of days to read. TITUS GROAN, GORMENGHAST and TITUS ALONE seemed to fill the bill, catching my eye because they were packaged in a manner very similar to LotR.

I confess to a degree of disappointment with the third volume, as it seemed basically to repeat much of what had already been seen, including character types and descriptions, and left the main character, Titus Groan, in pretty much the same place he was at the end of the second book. I'm told Mervyn Peake, suffered in latter years from dementia, and some of this may have influenced the third book. A revised edition was released after his death, but he was, obviously, not involved in it.

The 2000 filmed version seemed to miss much of what the book was about, and I didn't last very long with it. (Curious point: when Christopher Lee is involved with something of which he claims to be a great fan, the result is often wildly off-model. Dracula, LotR, Gormenghast... Odd.)

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes, the third volume didn't work at all, presumably due to Peake's illness and decline. And while I have Titus Awakes, I've still to read it.

JB, have you read Michael Moorcock's 'Gloriana'?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version