The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: New comics and back issues 08/14/2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's what awaits me at the LCS this week:

• CATWOMAN #14- Primarily for my son
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #27 - I thought #26 was an improvement over the Kraven Hunt sequence.  Let's hope this continues.
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL #9 - Behind on this title, but I'll catch up.     
  • FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #10 - I liked the last sequence in this title.  Let's see where they go from there.
Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

CATWOMAN #14
JAMES BOND ORIGIN #12
OBLIVION SONG #18
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

USAGI YOJIMBO #3 - keeps on trucking
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #27 - keeps on trucking
FANTASTIC FOUR #13 - finally made the decision to drop the book, but I'm prepaid through #14, so...
INVADERS #8 - haven't preordered any of them and the book isn't quite good enough to inspire me to, but when an issue comes out I find a way to get to an LCS to buy it... Kind of expecting it to wrap with #12 so I imagine the trend will continue
POWERS OF X #2 - okay, curiosity wins
SILVER SURFER BLACK #3 - pretty
SILVER SURFER PRODIGAL SUN #1 - Marvel marketing amuse me with this whole "we'll do a three part series but find a way to make all three issues a "#1" and now the Marvel scheduling wizards astound me by having two Silver Surfer projects out the same week
SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #5 - and so our visit to the past ends; aside from an Absolute Carnage tie-in one shot next month. Okay then.

JOKER THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS HC - Not actually buying, but just wanted to publically express my hope they'll release the previously unpublished Joker #10 in a cheaper form someday. I'm curious about it, but not "spend $100 to reacquire stories I already have the originals of" curious.

Edited by Dave Phelps on 14 August 2019 at 5:27pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

HIT-GIRL SEASON TWO #7 - Strictly for the Goran Parlov art. 

SHARKEY BOUNTY HUNTER #5 (OF 6) - Almost over. Not Millar's best. Did not pick up the Space Bandits mini-series by Millar because the art looked unappealing. One appeal of his creator owned work though is that it's generally short and sweet and told in mini-series.

DETECTIVE COMICS #1009 - Had a hard time choosing between the Hitch and Mahnke covers. Sadly no Mahnke interior art this issue. 

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #27 - Cover looks fun.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN EXODUS #1 - Even at my Conan limit can not pass up some interior art by Esad Ribic. Apparently he writes this too and it's Conan's origin?

FANTASTIC FOUR #13 - Speaking of Esad Ribic, I generally love his art, both interiors and covers, but the last two covers for FF have been some of his worst. I believe this might be my last issue of this title. 

POWERS OF X #2 (OF 6) - Can Hickman generate as much discussion and interest with this issue?

USAGI YOJIMBO #3 - Master cartoonist and storyteller.

Also picked up the Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Kraven's Last Hunt as it's OOP and starting to shoot up in price on Amazon and E-bay. Still available at 42 percent discounted price on instocktrades, for now, thankfully. Saw it listed for anywhere from 40 to 80 bucks on E-bay already. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 15 August 2019 at 3:43am

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I just had a quick look at this new FF series...As always I am shocked to see 10 to 15 alternate covers for each issue...Isn't this going to stop one day ? I mean are there really people fighting for these variants with "fun" and/or irrelevant covers ? I wouldn't want my FF issue with a "Spiderman Villains series" cover but that's just me it seems.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Detective Comics #1009- One of my favorite books right now.

Event Leviathan #3- If there is a style of Bendis story that I like, this mystery is what I feel he does best.

Superman #14- My LCS said DC decided not to put this out this week.

Amazing Spider-Man #7- I don't love the concept of the Sinister Syndicate mainly due to the idea that all female villains (and male ones at Marvel theses days) "network". Seems kind of just an excuse to tell a Boomerang story.

Doctor Strange #17- The addition of Barry Kitson on art has been wonderful.

I do have to note that the cover of the newest issue of the Fantastic Four has one of the worst versions of the Thing I've ever seen!

Edited by Shawn Kane on 15 August 2019 at 4:32am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Missed one -

MARVEL MASTERS OF SUSPENSE LEE & DITKO OMNIBUS HC VOL 01 - volume 1 of a two book collection of all the Lee/Ditko shorts from back in the day. I've been hoping someone would do this for years so thrilled to see it happen.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Detective Comics # 1009 - I keep saying it, but Peter Tomasi is producing the most enjoyable Batman stories in a long time.

Joker The Bronze Age Omnibus - Collects some great material by some of the greats on Batman O'Neil, Adams, Novick, Wein, Simonson, Moench, Conway, Newton and Colan and the unreleased Joker # 10

Amazing Spider-Man # 27 - Rolls along nicely

Doctor Strange # 17 - Good stuff from Mark Waid and Barry Kitson

Fantastic Four # 13 - I'll stick with it for a few more months

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Glad to have purchased the JOKER: THE BRONZE AGE Omnibus!  The originals are way out of my price range, so this is a great way to acquire them, the new, original #10 "issue" and many other great Joker stories.

Marc

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

DC: Event Leviathan #3; Superman #14; Wonder Woman #76.
MARVEL: Powers of X #2.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I do have to note that the cover of the newest issue of the Fantastic Four has one of the worst versions of the Thing I've ever seen!

The Hulk and Thing on the cover before were just as bad. Ribic's art is typically amazing and his previous FF covers were all pretty good. I bought the Image series Vs. just for Ribic's art. Not sure if the last two covers were rush jobs while he was working on the Conan book which he's doing his first interiors since Vs or what, but I was actually kind of shocked they were by him.

Hard to believe that the same artist that did this: 

... also did this: 

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah everything is horrible about that Thing vs Hulk cover. The anatomy, the dynamics, the position, the faces, you name it. And I usually am in awe of Ribic. What happened to him ???

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version