Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: New comics and back issues 08/14/2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can't figure out what I don't like about Dan Slott's Fantastic Four. Every writer at Marvel nowadays seems to want to make quippy or what I call "Hey guys, comics...am I right?" dialogue so I don't think it's that. I think it's Marvel's handling of them overall. I felt Waid and Weiringo's run was pretty good but after that, Marvel just seemed to lose touch. JMS might have been better if Civil War hadn't intervened (we call out Ribic today but look at the terrible Ben in some of those covers), McDuffie's run was fine even though it was missing Reed and Sue for most of it. Hickman's run was all concept and no heart mixed in with too much of the Future Foundation for my taste. And just to throw out an extra complaint, why change their costumes with every new run? It feels like current Marvel lost their way with the characters.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 16 August 2019 at 4:55am
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shawn, I disagree that the Hickman run on FF had no heart, but totally agree about the Future Foundation on that run. That seemed to derail that whole story line for me. Also not a fan of the changing of the costumes with the white costumes during the Hickman run and the red ones in the next team's run. I thought the first part of Hickman's Fantastic Four was pretty good though and especially loved the Interdimensional Council of Reeds (and apparently so did the writers of Rick and Morty with their Council of Ricks). I thought it was better than Waid and Ringo's, though that was okay too, but neither run could touch our host's run on the book. 

I know one thing I don't like about Slott's run on FF so far is the constantly shifting art teams. But overall it seems like the stories are mostly forgettable. I didn't think that Doom and Galactus story was very well executed either. But having wildly different art every other issue definitely hasn't helped anything. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In contrast, the newest issue of Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer and Kev Walker was my favorite one yet. Maybe I'm biased to enjoy this though because of my love of Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man and his heavy usage of Boomerang in this issue, but outside of that it just feels like this current run of Amazing Spider-Man holds up with some of the classic issues in a way Slott's run never did with all its gimmicks instead of just making a good comic. And although this book also has more than one art team, they have for the most part, done complete story arcs, with the exception of Hunted, with it's nigh weekly schedule. Anyway, hope Kev Walker does more future issues or even arcs as his art is not vastly different from Ryan Ottley's and I really enjoyed it on the issue.   

Edited by Shane Matlock on 16 August 2019 at 2:16pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Shane, I'm probably being a little hard on the run in retrospect because I liked it at first especially with the Dale Eaglesham art (with the exception of jacked-up Reed). The death of Johnny probably tainted my view on the book more than anything. At that point, I was tired of Marvel killing off characters. 

My dislike of the Future Foundation has a lot to do with having certain characters in roles I don't feel fit (Alex Power, Dragon Man, and the Moloids) and I dislike the fact that the Wizard has a cloned child in the group. Hickman (or Bendis, I can't remember) giving villains in Secret Warriors kids just doesn't work for me. Like giving the heroes kids, it ages the characters plus even though it's fiction, these kids have super villains for parents! Talk about dysfunctional! And just like in the Avengers, the addition of characters seemed like Hickman said to himself "I'm going to use characters I liked as a kid and just shove them into certain roles."

In my critique of recent teams, I need to mention Millars run that I absolutely loathed, Fractions run that was all about the Fantastic Four dying and apparently somewhere Sue became a doctor, which seemed a little ham fisted as if Sue isn't an interesting character (though not as much as the attempt of current Marvel trying to pass Sue off as a super spy).

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Shawn, I was told that the late Dwayne McDuffie's run on FF was very, very good. I don't know if it's been collected in TPB form. 

I liked Dan Slott when he was writing SHE-HULK and THE THING but by the time he wrote the "Spider-Island" story in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN I gave up on him. 

I haven't enjoyed anything Mark Millar has written since SUPERMAN: RED SON. 

I agree that Nick Spencer's run on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN has been excellent so far. Can't believe this is the same guy who wrote SECRET EMPIRE!!

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

CONAN THE BARBARIAN EXODUS #1
WAR OF THE REALMS TPB
TONY STARK: IRON MAN Vol. 1 & 2
ULTIMATE HUMAN (Used on Amazon)
DAREDEVIL Vol. 1 (Latest run)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I agree that Nick Spencer's run on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN has been excellent so far. Can't believe this is the same guy who wrote SECRET EMPIRE!!

Yeah, I'm loving Spencer's Spider-Man run too!

I didn't mind the writing on Secret Empire. It was the art choices that killed it for me. Most of the artists in my opinion didn't fit the story or character. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Most of Spencer's stuff has been really good. The one glaring exception would be the whole Hydra Cap stuff/Secret Empire, which few folks liked because it was a really terrible idea, not because it was badly written. It's up there with Spider-Man making a deal with Mephisto in the history of bad ideas in comics. Or Norman Osborne hooking up with Gwen Stacy and her having his twins. Anyway, I can highly recommend Superior Foes of Spider-Man (which kind of serves as a prequel to his current run on Spider-Man with many of the characters showing up), the two short Ant-Man series with Scott Lang, The Fix at Image (one of my favorites, with art by Steve Lieber who he also worked with on Superior Foes, very underrated and underread comic), and the first T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents series he did at DC (didn't care for the second volume as much). 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I liked Spencer's first T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents run as well. I found the second volume to be bland. I decided by the time that he was writing Avengers World, that he was just a writer I didn't care for. Once again, by the time Superior Foes and Ant Man came out, I was so jaded by Marvel that I was probably overly critical of anything he wrote. I did feel that his Ant Man tossed away years of continuity and character development in order to feel like the movie, so I lost interest quickly. I was so sure that I wasn't going to like his Amazing Spider-Man that I ignored the guys at my LCS for months but luckily, they had all the issues I missed when I finally gave it a chance! Amazing and Immortal Hulk were two books that I blew off at first and finally gave up my resistance to and I'm glad I did! I read Superior Foes for the first few issues and thought there was nothing bad about it, I just didn't like the characters.

Adam, I was the same way with Dan Slott. He was one of those guys who I felt "got it", and then after Spider Island came out, I haven't liked anything he's written since. McDuffie's FF run was fun plus he had one of my favorite artists, Paul Pelletier, on board with him.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 17 August 2019 at 4:19am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh, I forgot about Avengers World. I didn't like that either and dropped it after a few issues too. That one he wrote with Hickman and I like both of their work, but did not like that series at all. It seemed superfluous to the main two Avengers titles that Hickman was writing. Damn, I miss the days when you could read a single Avengers or X-Men comic. I worry that with the success of Immortal Hulk that Marvel will spin it out into like 2, 3, 4, whatever titles like they have done when every character or group starts getting popular.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Shhhh....Don't give them any ideas! 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is two weeks' worth of stuff:

GIDEON FALLS #16
UNEARTH #2

BUFFY #7 - This book is OK but it feels like the writers don't really know what to do with Buffy. It's about everyone but her, I feel.  (And I don't think this is uncommon with a show/series like this.) 

COFFIN BOUND #1 - Cool little debut. A little punk rock, a little sort of exploitation movie vibe.  Good stuff.

CROWDED #8
SEA OF STARS #2 - I LOVED the first issue of this but, already, the second issue is a major drop-off from the first. We'll see how it plays out.

Edited by John Popa on 17 August 2019 at 8:00am

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version