Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 03 - Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Jean subplot will continue over the next several issues, and is bound to cause considerable consternation to those who are still trying to shoehorn ELSEWHEN into 1980s continuity.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Good!

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Really enjoying the "interactive" aspect of this whole fanfic... I mean, I know John has done or will do what he wants, but it's fun to talk about things as they happen more or less during the creative process.  It's a completely new experience for me...

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Jean subplot will continue over the next several issues, and is bound to cause considerable consternation to those who are still trying to shoehorn ELSEWHEN into 1980s continuity.

Don't care about 1980s continuity. This new one is more exciting!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Mr. Byrne, your tantalizing subplots are delicious! I couldn't be happier with these books!

Does it bother you if we have ideas about where the stories are going and we speculate (possibly to get your comments) as if it were a letters page? I have an idea about the Jean subplot from that last page, but I don't want to post it if it pisses you off. Thanks!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A standing rule here in the Forum is NO SPECULATION. Too much risk of spoilers.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Don't care about 1980s continuity. This new one is more exciting!"
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------

Absolutely. 'My' X-Men disappeared fairly swiftly after JB departed the series. I know Chris still had some decent story ideas - but boy did he screw with the personalities and motivations of the core characters. After steadfastly persisting, I gave up buying the book when Kurt discovered his religious calling (really?!?!?).

This 'Elsewhen' series seems, to-date, faithful to the personalities I knew and loved as a kid and fledgling teenager. The 'ride' is a total blast. :-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You make a good point. Chris is remembered for his long run on the X-Men, but did he really have one? On the TITLE(s), yes. But during his tenure he actually wrote several different books. They just happened to have characters in them who self identified as X-Men, but who increasingly had little or nothing to do with the characters who had once born their names.

(And, again and without sarcasm, he must have been doing something right. He took the book to a commercial success far beyond anything it had achieved while I was on board.)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A couple of art-related comments.

I'm really loving what you are doing with Storm, here. I don't know if there was a conscious effort, but something about her is really clicking with this issue - especially on pages 2, 7, 12, and 18 (the way her hair is flowing on the bottom of that last page).

Cyclops' new visor reminds me a bit of the one they gave him around 2005 during Joss Whedon's run. Is that whiteout I'm seeing on some of the panels with the visor?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No whiteout on pencils, Vinny!

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not knowing that these were being "published" on the Fan-Fic page, I JUST came across them!  To say that I'm amazed and that these have surpassed my wildest dreams is a complete understatement.  Just the facial expressions and the conveyance of emotion ALONE is enough to brand this a masterpiece.  Hose me down now!

ok, now that I'm calmer, a couple of questions:

1.  Do you see Cyclops' new visor being colored the familiar gold or some other color?  (we've seen silver and "gun-metal", but in my opinion the visor can't just be haphazardly colored since it's an important piece of the story.  You did an amazingly seamless job "introducing" it rather than just letting it hang there as an artistic choice as so many others have done)

2.  Back in 79, you (and Chris) had this grand plan for 138 - 150.  Was Jean (in THAT story, not this one) ever going to re-join the X-Men, or were she and Scott going to leave and just live a happy married life?  My 12 year old self is still curious.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2019 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

1. Yes

2. No

I LOVE the east ones!!

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version