Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: We are SO OLD!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thinking about the time elapsed since the moon landing makes me feel a little crazy. When I was growing up, the moon landing seemed A LONG TIME AGO, though objectively it was a recent event. Just 6 years before I was born. Between the start of WWII (when horses were still being used by the various militaries to a reasonably significant degree for pulling artillery and supplies) and the moon landing was 30 years. And here were are 50 years later after that. Makes my head spin.
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"There's something similar that happens when I watch vintage movies or TV shows. BURKE'S LAW, for instance, which I was watching again recently. It was filmed in LA in 1963, and there's a lot of stock footage of Amos Burke's big Rolls Royce cruising the streets. It's really a hoot to see Los Angeles from that period. I was there in 1960, so it's almost familiar. And every so often a car from the Fifties or even the Forties will roll by, and I remind myself that those cars were not really "old" then. "Teenagers", basically.)"

------

In the last year or so, I've started noticing how frequently period pieces (especially on TV) will keep absolutely everything pinpoint specific to the year in question. I'll see a show set in, say, 1963, and every single car on the street will be a shiny, brand-new, early-60s era sedan. Every extra strolling through the background looks like they just picked up their outfits from the local Sears. Nobody's driving a beat-up old Duesenberg. Nobody's wearing hand-me-downs. I know that it gives a quick visual shorthand for determining what period you're in, but it definitely doesn't feel authentic.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Same thing I notice Ray!
The problem is finding a vintage vehicle, say 10 or 15 years older than the time period of the film, dented up or rusty and still in running condition.
When the call goes out for some period cars it's usually collectors and such that answer.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Exactly right. The cars are in great condition預nd often more so than would have been seen on the streets at the time.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I値l note, too, that my paternal grandmother was born in 1893, and lived to be 91. In her lifetime she saw us go from no powered flight to a man on the Moon.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Those 91 years are an incredible advance in technology as you mention. But not only that, the social difference up to 1984 was incredible (and continues to be).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The past week, with the anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attacks being discussed,  a television host spoke about talking with her young son, who was surprised to learn his mother (the TV host, in her early 50s) was actually alive at the time of the attacks. 

Crazy how the perspective of age works!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just watched a few random MONTY PYTHON episodes from 1969. Fifty years ago! Another in the cascade of half century anniversaries that have been tormenting me for the past few years.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

...comparing periods of elapsed time...

I find myself doing this, as well. Movies, TV shows, and songs from my youth that hit certain milestones and make me think back further. 

This year will mark 43 years since 1976 version of KING KONG was released. I was 7 years old, and yet, it doesn't seem like such a long time ago, in some ways. Compare that to the 43 years prior to that when the original came out, and that seemed like eons ago to my young mind. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 08 October 2019 at 2:25pm

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I just realized that FIREBALL XL5 (a key part of forming my interest in science fiction and therefore comics) will be 57 years old in less than 3 weeks!

How did that happen?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As this thread started with Star Wars...those Lucas
tinkered versions are nearly a quarter of a century old!

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was there in 1960, so it's almost familiar. And every so often a car from the Fifties or even the Forties will roll by, and I remind myself that those cars were not really "old" then. "Teenagers", basically.)

覧覧覧覧覧
I wish more period films actually have throwbacks from an earlier era. Say a film set in the 80s still having cars from the 70s. I mean back in the early 90s my mum had a TV from the 70s!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version