Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: We are SO OLD!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2019 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What is shocking about the currently available versions of the films is just how messed up the colour correction is. 

Everything has a blue tinge (especially noticeable in the white corridors of the blockade runner and Stormtroopers - those should be a brilliant white) And there is also a lot of green (which can be seen in C-3PO particularly).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2019 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, that is the shocking part.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2019 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I will add: I think that colour grading is a blight on modern film-making and less restraint in this area is needed, but when it comes to the tweaked/butchered versions of Star Wars, it really is a minor concern relative to the outrageous other changes. I can live with cool-palette StormTroopers. Amiga-graphics Jabba spouting the same dialogue as the previous scene? Send it back to the editing floor! 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2019 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

For me, added scenes are bad also, but for every frame to be so badly butchered by looking as wrong as it does - and it really does look terrible compared to what it should look like - makes for a 2 hour experience of frustration, while the added Jabba scene lasts what? Two or so minutes?

You can even press the scene skip function. You can't get those colours corrected.

And let's not even talk about the green 'training saber' in the Falcon scene (I know they have now fixed that, but it really does show the lack of care and attention when colour grading that film)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2019 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

But what defines the 'shouldedness' of the colour grading? The look of the film stock in 1977? Who truly knows what that looked like more than George Lucas? When you talk about  brilliant white, I see in most stock photos a kind of pee-yellow white that I'm not convinced was the original intent or actual look.

Film degrades with time. Digital footage does not. Most colour-grading complaints online are based on a 90s version versus a post-2000s version. You speak as if you have an absolute memory of the original colour-grading of the original film, which I know you do not.

Here's a photo of Vader from the original storybook, published in 1978:

Notice how this pre-1980s picture has a pink lightsabre and an otherwise blue colour-cast. And yet the re-issue isupposedly is the source of the pink lightsabre and the blue colour-cast.... Maybe that was the way Lucas saw it since the beginning.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2019 at 1:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Which is to say, you could easily be right about the colour grading being wrong. But I don't think you can definitively say your memory of the original grading is so perfect, that the colour grading is shocking.

Who has held the perfect fidelity of the original colours in their head these last 42 years to that degree of certitude? Who can objectively ignore all VHS and TV transfers, saying those versions haven't in any way swayed their memories , and that what is in their head is solely the original multitude of relative colours in different lighting conditions to the extent that the restored version by Lucasfilm is shocking?

I think the Jabba scene is easier to be sure about...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2019 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Peter, all I can say is I was shocked @ the blue tinge, in that I was surprised (which is a dictionary definition of shock). You weren’t. That’s fine. 

It certainly wasn’t blue on initial release

Edited by James Woodcock on 04 August 2019 at 9:45am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

We may be old, but the original STAR WARS still makes me feel young, dammit, every time I see it!

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Whenever I think about how old the things I grew up with are, I try to consider how they look from the perspective of kids today. 

I have nephews who are about the same age now that I was when I first saw Star Wars. That movie is now 42 years old. When I saw Star Wars, a 42 year old movie would have been A Night at the Opera, or The 39 Steps, or The Bride of Frankenstein. These all seemed positively pre-historic to me as a kid.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My friend Gary Cody calls that a "John Byrne Moment". I have a habit, you see, of comparing periods of elapsed time. "That was thirty years ago, and thirty years before that was..."

He first used the term when telling me of walking down the street in his home town, Vancouver, and seeing a 1969 car drive by. This was in 1999, and he immediately wondered how many 1939 cars were on the streets in 1969. A John Byrne Moment!

(There's something similar that happens when I watch vintage movies or TV shows. BURKE'S LAW, for instance, which I was watching again recently. It was filmed in LA in 1963, and there's a lot of stock footage of Amos Burke's big Rolls Royce cruising the streets. It's really a hoot to see Los Angeles from that period. I was there in 1960, so it's almost familiar. And every so often a car from the Fifties or even the Forties will roll by, and I remind myself that those cars were not really "old" then. "Teenagers", basically.)

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I do something like this with my daughter. I was born
in 1970, 20 years after 1950, so my idea of the 50s is
comparable to my daughter's idea of the 80s since she
was born in 2000.

The 80s to her is like the 50s to me, and sometimes that
blows my mind because the 80s were my tween and teen
years.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A few years back, as we approached the 100th Anniversary of the beginning of the First World War I happened to comment to a group of friends that it seemed so hard to believe the Great War was a century ago. One of the group, then in her 20s, said “No it isn’t.”

Of course. When I was born the start of WW1 was 36 years ago. When she was born it was already 74 years ago! It was perfectly natural, to her, that a war in which my grandfather had fought (and been a POW) was almost as long ago as the American Civil War had been for me!

And in only 20 years it will be 100 years since WW2 began!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version