I hope they include the graphic novel, even though it was 
in the second "universe" omnibus.
---------------------------------------------------
The OGN is included.
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Neil, I feel your pain about companies not finishing their collections. DC is notorious for this and recently canceled quite a few collections that they had just started a few years ago like Peter David's Aquaman and Supergirl runs, which got 2 and 4 books respectively and were then canceled. They did the same thing with the Starman omnibus softcovers several years back. Canceled the third one and never printed the last three collections. And the third hardcover omni of Starman is ridiculously expensive. Very frustrating. 

Nathan, I'm with you on the TPB's. I generally prefer the paper they are printed on when it's less shiny and they are a lot easier to hold and read, but when the TPBs are OOP and grossly over-priced on Ebay and Amazon (to the point where it's much cheaper just to buy the individual issues), the omnibuses are the best way to get a whole run by a creator you love in one place. Marvel has collected and continues to collect a LOT of JB's stuff in omnibus format, but I do wish they'd reprint or do a second print of some of those old OOP TPBs. Until then these omnis are probably the way to go. Even though I got the first FF omni by JB (and will get the second collection when/if it comes back in print) I'm not about to sell my visionaries TPBs of that run. Or my single issues for that matter. 

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's good news!  Since NAMOR, SPIDER-MAN, and now SHE-HULK Omnibus editions by JB have been announced, an X-MEN by JB Omnibus that collects his original X-MEN run and HIDDEN YEARS would be about all that is left to have practically all of JB's Marvel output in Omnibus form (not counting licensed material or JB-written stories for which he did not draw).

I'm curious how the pricing for these volumes is determined, though.  The SHE-HULK by JB Omnibus is $125 for 752 pages, whereas the BLACK WIDOW Omnibus that comes out the same month is $100 for 872 pages.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I agree with Nathan, the Omnibus editions look impressive, but they're not easy to read like a tpb, plus they're about double the price here due to shipping.

Also noticed that the She-Hulk Graphic Novel had a second printing in 1990. I got it back in '85 and it's one of my favorites. Glad to see there's a cheaper copy available for people who want to get it, as well as being included in the omnibus.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

These prices are crazy! And I can see them adding to the "Byrne's stuff doesn't sell" mythology.

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

These prices are crazy! And I can see them adding to the "Byrne's stuff doesn't sell" mythology.

++++++++++

Byrne's stuff sells too well that's the reason Marvel is collecting it again and again! Marvel is a business and I doubt they want to lose money! X-Men, Alpha Flight, Fantastic Four, Namor, She-Hulk,... all the material has been/is being in TPB, Omnibus,... prominently putting the Byrne name on the title/cover!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Byrne's stuff sells too well that's the reason Marvel is collecting it again and again! Marvel is a business and I doubt they want to lose money! X-Men, Alpha Flight, Fantastic Four, Namor, She-Hulk,... all the material has been/is being in TPB, Omnibus,... prominently putting the Byrne name on the title/cover!

••

Don't cloud the issue with facts.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't get the 125 dollar price tag. Usually their older material that's around that length is 100 dollars. Even the super-sized Alpha Flight omni was 100 bucks. That said, I will pay it. Or at least the discounted price when it's released, because Sensational She-Hulk is in my top five favorite longer Byrne runs (along with Alpha Flight, Uncanny X-Men, FF, and Superman). 

And, yes, as for the Byrne doesn't sell argument, with three omnibuses coming out in the coming months, Namor and She-Hulk from Marvel and Doom Patrol from DC, along with the tons of omnis Marvel has already released that Manuel mentions covering exclusively JB stuff with his name prominently on the cover, obviously this stuff sells, which is probably they upped the price tag to 125. They know they can get it for this material. And they're right. .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't get the 125 dollar price tag.

••

Asked…

••

That said, I will pay it.

••

...and answered.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Haha. Definitely a mark for any collection of your work, older or newer. TPB or normal sized hardcovers or omnibuses or posted for free on this forum. Also,JB, I hope Marvel and DC are sending you comp copies of these collections of your work. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I will pay it and love doing it!  

Hoping for even MORE JB goodness in collected form!

Marc

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I hope Marvel and DC are sending you comp copies of these collections of your work.

•••

They used to, but I asked them to stop. It got to a point they were sending me multiple comps of books with only a few pages of my work in them! I was running out of places to store them.

(I offered them to my local library and honestly don’t think I could have gotten a more contemptuous response if I’d been offering a bound collection of NUNS AND NAZIS.)

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version