Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: The Walking Dead ends (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

******This post contains no plot spoilers******

After 193 issues TWD has ended, with Robert Kirkman bringing the series to a sudden, unexpected close (that's after teasing future 'non-issues' on trade sites to maintain the secret right up until release day!). 

Ballsy move in this day and age, especially as some will expect the TV show to follow suit (it still commands big numbers, despite being less popular than it was). The only thing is - now we have a trilogy of movies planned for theatre release and another spin-off show to go alongside TWD and Fear the Walking Dead. 

This is surely a first, to end a popular book now but to then flood the market with the story in other mediums.

Or am I just being cynical in thinking that the comic series will return in a year with a new setting and new characters...? 

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

I can't see the comic coming back any time soon. Robert Kirkman still owns it so nobody can do anything without his permission. He certainly doesn't need the money either. I don't see him getting someone else to write the book either. He seems pretty protective of his creations. I can easily see him bringing it back in 10-15 years though. 

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

I loved the way he ended it. It was a nice way of circumventing the 3 month solicitation problem if you can basically lie about what's coming up - retailers are of course not of the same opinion.

The letters pages leading up to the end were cute too - lots of things commented upon could be read in a very different light once we knew what happened in #193.

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

It would drive me mad being sooo close to issue 200 not to hit that milestone number. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

The comic series had some great moments - and once someone was dead, well,,,they were dead for good.

Maybe you are right with Kirkman. He seems loved up with 'Oblivion Song' at the moment anyway. 

Shame 'Thief of Thieves' didn't get the attention it deserved. Jon Hamm would haven been a perfect Redmond for the TV show.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

It would drive me mad being sooo close to issue 200 not to hit that milestone number. 

-------------------

There's a reason for that. Finishing at 193, it fits quite nicely into the compendium sizes - 3 volumes of 48 issues - 1 of 49.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

The letters pages leading up to the end were cute too - lots of things commented upon could be read in a very different light once we knew what happened in #193.

Absolutely. 

And the false covers that were produced for fake future issues were a clever move. We've talked on this forum in the past about surprise events being impossible now everything is promoted months in advance but this is clearly the way to do it.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

I haven't been completely following this, but had retailers been placing orders and committing money to future issues which don't exist?

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

I haven't been completely following this, but had retailers been placing orders and committing money to future issues which don't exist?

Retailers wouldn't have been taking money from customers yet and wouldn't have been charged yet, and there are typically at least a few books in any given month that are delayed, canceled, or resolicited, so there's a system in place for an unexpected cancellation.

Two random non-anniversary issues of Walking Dead would likely have been ordered in the same numbers that any other issue would have been, too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 July 2019 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

Per the Forum Decorum, let's keep work by other artists in the New Release
thread, so I am going to lock this down and you can continue there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version