David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Count me out.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If you want to expunge Bond's sexism (which was of a time and place), just de-emphasize it.  Don't totally change the direction of the franchise and replace him with someone who bears no resemblance in appearance or attitude.  I have no problem with getting in some female 00 agents (not just "Bond Girls") but start a new series if you want the star of the franchise to be female.  Hard to imagine this is really the long term plan.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have no problem with getting in some female 00 agents (not just "Bond Girls") but start a new series if you want the star of the franchise to be female.

-----

It seems to me like this is the plan, and the next Bond film would serve as passing the baton to the new 007.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I agree: this is how to do it.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Don't totally change the direction of the franchise and replace him with someone who bears no resemblance in appearance or attitude.

He isn't being literally replaced. James Bond is still James Bond. This new character is 007. She's not "James Bond" or "Jane Bone" or what have you.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I don't care who they replace Daniel Craig with.  He puts me to sleep!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I’m not a fan of Craig as Bond, either. But, then, except for a moment with Timothy Dalton, I’ve had no great fondness for anyone since Connery.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

He isn't being literally replaced. James Bond is still James Bond. This new character is 007. She's not "James Bond" or "Jane Bone" or what have you.
Bond has been 007 for all 26 movies for better or worse.  If this is about "breathing new life and perspective" into the franchise, let 007 go and give her a different number.  Or better yet, make a new franchise with a new female super spy in her own universe rather than relying on all of the goodwill built up on an entirely different character whose methods,  machismo and credibility the writers of the female 007 will likely find it impossible to resist making fun of.  Female super agents can be a blast and are nothing new (Angelina Jolie has kicked ass in such roles at least twice herself between MR. AND MRS. SMITH and the otherwise drab SKY CAPTAIN ATWOT) but I wish they would just let 007 go if they think it's time for a change and he's no longer relevant.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If it really must be done, this is the way to do it. I don't really have an interest in seeing this movie though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Completely agree (that this is how you do it).  And after her performance in Captain Marvel (managed to choke me up on her first try), I'm also completely onboard with Lynch's acting chops.

I also think "James Bond" as a character has imposed a box on the franchise that has not aged well. "00" status is the Job, "James Bond" is the character.  Changing who holds that particular "00" number is to be sure a departure, but after Spectre (a movie I was deeply disappointed by) I believe a welcome one.

Could they screw this up? Sure. That's always a possibility. But I think there was is no fixing the franchise the way they were going.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree with the notion of if you are going to do it, this is an acceptable way of doing it. Not sure why she needs the actual 007 designation though (from an in-story sense). Are there not enough code numbers to go around?

All in all, though, it's a little bit like writing a detective story featuring Sherlock Holmes and the chief detective in the story is... Someone else.

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version