Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Scotty Star Trek novels Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Everyone knows that the reason Star Trek: TOS was so successful was because of Scotty, and that the reason subsequent iterations and spin-offs haven't been as good is because they haven't had a Scottish character in them.

So - what Star Trek novels focus on Scotty, or feature him prominently?
Back to Top profile | search

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The novel KOBIYASHI MARU has Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, and (I think) Chekov swap stories about how they took the test. Scotty's tale was by far my favorite. Worth checking out for that alone.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks - got that one already!

I'm currently reading Prime Directive, which gives Scotty some nice scenes - particularly when he reluctantly does his duty and places Kirk under arrest. Surely there must be more with the Greatest Engineer In The Galaxy?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Glancing about on-line I see that Star Trek novel #52 HOME IS THE HUNTER by Dana Kramer-Rolls features a story wherein Sulu is transported back in time to feudal Japan, Chekov to WW II era Russia, and Scotty to 18th Century Scotland. 

There is a novelization of the ST:TNG episode RELICS written by Michael Jan Friedman.

I've always liked the argument that took place between Scotty and McCoy at the start of James Blish's SPOCK MUST DIE, but I don't recall if Scotty plays much more of a role in the rest of the book.

Not a novel, but Star Trek Annual #3 by Peter David, Curt Swan, and Ricardo Villagran tells the story of Scotty's wife back on Earth and their troubled times together and apart. It is well worth seeking out, in my opinion.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The novel KOBIYASHI MARU has Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, and (I think) Chekov swap stories about how they took the test. Scotty's tale was by far my favorite. Worth checking out for that alone.

••

I thought the Kobiyashi Maru test was for command candidates. Why would Scotty take it?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mr. Byrne, in the book, Mr. Scott didn't want to take the test; he wanted to be an engineer. But one of his superior thought he had the exact qualities a commander needed, and was quite insistent that he take the test..

So Mr. Scott took the test... and the results indicated that he would not be suited for command, but not for any reason you'd suspect. I won't say more because it's a spoiler, even after thirty odd years.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The TNG novel "Crossover" featured Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, and Mr. Scott. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Mr. Byrne, in the book, Mr. Scott didn't want to take the test; he wanted to be an engineer. But one of his superior thought he had the exact qualities a commander needed, and was quite insistent that he take the test..

So Mr. Scott took the test... and the results indicated that he would not be suited for command, but not for any reason you'd suspect. I won't say more because it's a spoiler, even after thirty odd years.

•••

The word “contrived” leaps to mind.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

@Brian Hague:

That's an impressive list - thanks! I might skip the ST:TNG works though - it's more "Prime Scotty" I'm interested in.

Having finished 'Prime Directive', I've just started re-reading 'Vulcan's Glory' and I'm pleasantly surprised to rediscover that Scotty plays a small but decent role in it too!

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

•••

The word “contrived” leaps to mind.

It worked for me. Chekov expresses similar surprise, IIRC:

"You took the test, Mister Scott?"

"Of course not, laddie. . . they let just any engineer take command of a starship."

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Sounds once again like someone without military experience writing Star Fleet like a club—which has pretty much been the problem with every iteration of TREK since the original series.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version