Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Chasing The Moon Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Anyone else watching this PBS American Experience series? Just watched part 2 of 3 tonight, it really brought home how the accomplishments of Apollo 8 and onward were paid for in part by Grissom, White and Chaffee (and Mrs. White also sadly). Still amazed by those first photos of Earth as seen from Moon orbit in December 1968. Funny how when a newsstand was shown briefly with the front page of papers showing one of the first images of such I was calculating what March 1969 dated comics might be there. Also interesting to learn about people like Ed Dwight who was once the first African-American astronaut, and Poppy Northcutt, maths wizard.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 09 July 2019 at 9:12pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Haven't seen that one yet, but I've found that the somewhat flashy, yet surprisingly detailed Discovery Channel When We Left Earth series from 2008 - which I've re-watched many times on disc - to be the best one I've seen out of all of the various space documentaries and movies. They interview all of the key players, including a somewhat stilted Neil Armstrong (I think he only agreed to appear if he could read off cue cards), and cover all of the key events, in just the right amount of detail.

A sacrifice was kind of inevitable given NASA was running a feverish pace to meet Kennedy's deadline. Grissom, White and Chaffee basically drew the short straws. By the same token, these guys knew the risks, but took it on anyway, and that sort of courage is what separates them from normal human beings.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Earlier this year I read -- Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon. Also, worth checking out.
Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I watched it all this week. Very good look at the whole space program. And then as a bonus I saw another PBS doc on the use of high altitude hot air balloons before the space race really took off. Which was an interesting forerunner to the whole thing.

The final episode of the series was quite the focus on the moon landing. I didn't know about all the various graphics/simulations they had to use. I found that quite interesting. It was really jarring to see how quickly the public interest faded after the moon landing was over and done with. If there had been more support who knows how much farther along the space program would be. One of those great 'What ifs?' of our time.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I wanted to clear up some information that wasn't gone into in detail in Chasing The Moon. Mrs. Pat White, wife of astronaut Ed White, tried to commit suicide after the Apollo 1 disaster but was apparently saved by other astronaut wives, but she did succeed later on in 1991 which is still sad. I didn't know the full story from the PBS show and imagined motherless and fatherless children. The world really lost some good people in that fire, I think Roger Chaffee in particular would've been a bright light in the future from watching and listening to what's available of him online.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version