Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Should Wolverine have gotten his own long running titles? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wolverine origins? We were told from the beginning that he was a kind of soldier who had been implanted with an adamantium skeleton with claws and was used as a living weapon which made him mad? Wasn't it enough?

The problem with the X-Men at a point (and it became true with many characters at Marvel) was the need to make their origins related with a great invisible plan.

Cyclops was not an orphan: his father was a space pirate and he was manipulated during his childhood by Mr Sinister...
Colossus was not a farmer boy from Russia but the brother of a mutant cosmonaut...
And you could go like this with every characters!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Chris would never allow anybody to be ordinary.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wasn’t Piotr’s older brother established pretty early on as a cosmonaut?  IIRC, it wasn’t until after Claremont had left that he was made to be a mutant. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes, Peter’s DEAD cosmonaut brother came into the mix around issue 99 or so. Cuz, you know, having a dead cosmonaut for a brother is so ordinary.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
Cyclops... his father was a space pirate...

Just a nutty, nutty notion!

Chris Claremont was very good at writing space stories and, for damn sure, Dave Cockrum was great at coming up with costumes -- but this dynamic duo, in my opinion, should have just worked a "Starjammers" comicbook that had absolutely zero to do with the X-Men.

Why mess with Cyclops, anyway? Was he... too boring?! 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Why mess with Cyclops, anyway? Was he... too boring?!

••

To Chris, yes. I was constantly fighting against Chris' need to make Scott more "interesting". I thought he was fine as he was.

Important to remember that the only X-MEN issues Chris had read before becoming writer on the relaunch were the Thomas/Adams run. He had no long investment with the characters, as I did. So Scott was pretty much new to him, like the All New versions.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
So Scott was pretty much new to him [Mr. Claremont], like the All New versions.

Looking back over the first "all new" issues, Chris Claremont had Cyclops fairly regularly lose his cool. Not a good sign of grasping the character Lee/Kirby had created. (My favorite X-Man, by far, too!)

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You make a common error, there. Something can be “never mentioned again” without any need for a retcon. Reed and Ben served in WW2, until it became policy to simply never mention it again. Today, I expect, we’d get a 12 part crossover “event” explaining it—and probably revealing that Reed is a clone of Hitler.

OK, I understand now. I thought that a retcon could just be simply made by either bluntly establishing the new (or restored) status quo without any in story explanation or mentioning any of those past stories.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Typical example of giving fans what they think they want--but also something else. Playing to long time readers, readers who really should have stopped reading comics ten, fifteen, forty years ago, the first time they found their adult sensibilities intruding on their demands.

And this is why I'm firmly in favor of bluntly telling long time older readers (whether they have outgrown comics or not) that not every past or future story and not every little detail that was mentioned in a story will matter or be cannon.I would tell them that from time to time past stories and info about the characters will be either revised,updated,or ignored and never mentioned again without any in story explanation and if they didn't like it then it's too damn bad and that they should find a new hobby or move onto to more matured comics that now suit their maturing and changing tastes.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version