Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Which Marvel/DC Series originally ended too soon ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

ALL-STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER by Frank Miller and Jim Lee. Has it really been eleven years since issue #10? It may have been rightly reviled, but I'd still like to see Miller's conclusion to his God Damn Batman Saga.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Definitely the Strazewski/Parobeck JSA series--also, Chase and Chronos, two
'90s series I really enjoyed.

Blood of the Demon--I really wanted more of that!

Edited by Thomas Moudry on 12 July 2019 at 11:33am
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, more Parobeck JSA! And Weiss Shazam Family... more Michael Golden Man Bat and Demon... more Kurt Schaffenberger (full art job) Supergirl... more Joe Kubert Hawkman... more Alex Toth anything... Marshall Rogers (but Giordano inks or his own, I found Austin really stiff over him) Batman... Jim Sherman Legion... and why not more Neal Adams X-Men while I'm at it. More Byrne Hidden Years, Assignment: Earth, Doomsday +1, Doom Patrol, and Rog 2000 too! I might've said more Staton E-Man once but we got it and I didn't care for it so much the second time around (think I bailed after three issues). Sorry to be so artist-centric but some features had various writers and were still good.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've been re-visiting the Superman Family (thanks to Brian Miller's recommendation) and I truly feel that there is something spiritually invigorating in Kurt Schaffenberger's art. I just feel better looking at it.

Thanks for shout, Jonathan, but really Greg McPhee was the one who remembered the Strazewski/Parobeck JSA first. I just thanked him for it. And Rebecca, did Alan Weiss do more of the Shazam! comic than issue #34? I can recall a few covers and illustrations from him, but only one issue.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I only have that one Weiss Shazam story. I wonder if he said anything about any ambitions to do more in this one DC fan magazine he did some art for? I don't have a copy. I know Don Newton wanted to work on it badly, and I don't think he'd ever had any deadline problems like Weiss might have.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I remember Newton's run on the book with great fondness. While at the time, I wanted the C.C. Beck style to continue indefinitely, I clearly remember enjoying everything Newton did on the feature, regardless. The enhanced level of detail (WF #255-Dreamdancer! Whooof!) definitely stood out and made for some excellent comics reading! Plus, his Cap wasn't that far off from the Jackson Bostwick TV series or the Mego figure. He still looked "right." 

Newton did come up through the fanzines, Rocket Blast's Comic Collector, in particular as I recall, and yes, he did make it clear that he wanted to work on Captain Marvel and his family. I am very glad that he got the chance to do so. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Geez, so many... (note that a lot of these are retroactive)

I'll stick with the shorter lived stuff to keep the list manageable (generally 12 and under with a few going over), but for some series (e.g. Ostrander Suicide Squad), even five+ years wasn't enough and others (e.g. Moench Master of Kung Fu) had a solid run that didn't need to go much longer, but deserved a better wrap up.

60s: Angel and the Ape, Secret Six, Bat Lash, Deadman, Skeates/Aparo Aquaman

70s: Starlin Warlock, Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter, Omega the Unknown, Fleischer/Aparo Spectre, Dollar Comics Adventure Comics, Kirby's Fourth World, Star Hunters, Secret Society of Super-Villains (at least long enough to finish the story that was going on), MacGregor Black Panther, Deathlok (Astonishing Tales), Kirby Eternals, Shade the Changing Man

80s: Wolfman/Colan Night Force, Alan Zelentz' Alien Legion, Shadow (Helfer/Baker), Void Indigo,

90s: Death's Head, Justice Society, Stern's Marvel Universe, Ostrander Punisher,

00s: Nicieza Hawkeye, X-Men Hidden Years

10s: Brian Q Miller Batgirl, Simone's new run on Birds of Prey,

Honorable mention to some series that weren't cancelled when the individual(s) in question left, but still way too short: Stern/Byrne Captain America, Steranko Captain America, Steranko SHIELD (only counting the non-Strange Tales issues so it fits the theme), JB She-Hulk (first time) and Alan Davis Clan Destine.    

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Night Force has always deserved a longer run. It was an engaging, well crafted and intelligent series that just never seemed to find its audience.

The 1982 series should have been a hit off the Wolfman / Colan pedigree alone.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I only have that one Weiss Shazam story. I wonder if he said anything about any ambitions to do more in this one DC fan magazine he did some art for?
Alan Weiss wasn't interviewed in Amazing World of DC Comics #17, he just drew the cover.  Back Issue #99 included a letter from someone who talked about a bonus interview in a Comic Book Artist collected edition, in which Weiss said he took the job to pay homage to Mac Raboy, but didn't say why he only drew one issue.
link

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

OMAC by Jack Kirby!  He started a legend with only 8 issues, I'd like to have seen him get into some longer arcs.
Have you read David Morris and Dek Baker's 2002 small press Kirby pastiche, Omac #9?  Some of the artwork is a bit rough, but the writing is spot on.
link

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marvel:
THE INCREDIBLE HULK by JB (6 issues were not enough)
CAPTAIN AMERICA by Waid/Garney before Heroes Reborn, this
was a great book. Then came Mark Waid:Social Crusader.
X-MEN THE HIDDEN YEARS with the cancellation of this
book, Marvel quit being fun. 9/11 happened. As far as
comics are concerned, the terrorists won. It's just been
a slow death.

DC
JB's DOOM PATROL I was just getting into these characters
when the plug got pulled.
OMAC by Kirby. Super fun read.
OMAC by Didio/Geffin One of the few books that came out
of the New Fifty-Poo that I liked. Lasted 8 issues.

Edited by Stephen Churay on 14 July 2019 at 4:59pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

THE INCREDIBLE HULK by JB was not cancelled. He left the book. It carried on quite a long time after he left. 

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version