Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 02 - Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I will die of suspense if I read only a page every few days!

••

Wotta wuss!

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't know if it is the page a day release rate or a change in how JB is writing, but it seems like every other page or even more there is a realization in the final panel that makes you want to get deeper into the story. A good read is often indicated by how often one page makes you want to turn to the next. Issues 1 and 2 definitely deliver on that front. I think a few people have commented that almost every page seems like a cliff hanger and I would agree. There is something tantalizing in just about every page's last panel.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've spent the bulk of my career, both as writer and artist, ending pages on mini-cliffhangers whenever I could.

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm glad you decided to publish this here, in this format and at this pace. Getting a page a day is like having a new daily comic strip written and drawn by John Byrne. 

Seeing the raw pencils is an added bonus. As a fan of your work and an artist myself, it's a real treat to see the line that you are laying down, rather than an inker's interpretation of what that line was meant to be. It seems, I dunno, a more pure form of your art.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Seeing the raw pencils is an added bonus. As a fan of your work and an artist myself, it's a real treat to see the line that you are laying down, rather than an inker's interpretation of what that line was meant to be. It seems, I dunno, a more pure form of your art.

••

I'd call that a fair assessment.

In my career I have been inked by the best and the worst--and sometimes the fans did not realize which was which!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Who are the travellers arriving at the school? A mini-cliffhanger a day! Great pacing in this and the first Elsewhen story.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Who are the travellers arriving at the school?

••

This is the first--and so far only--direct tie-in to post-137 continuity as it originally appeared.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have long admired you're use of quiet moments, like Storm
and Kitty shopping. And I also admire your ability to
create chaos immediately after! That two page Sentinel
attack is amazing!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As I was working on this battle issue, I found myself once again grumbling, as I did all those years ago, over Chris' use of real names, like Salem Center and Anadale-on-Hudson. I hoped the good people of these towns were okay with my portrayal of their streets and buildings, since I had no reference. (Another of Chris' habits was to ask for specific locations or vehicles, without providing me with any idea of what they looked like.)*

This time, I was able to Google on my iPhone, and discovered that Salem Center is merely a crossroads between two other towns called Salem! So it's certainly not the town I'm trashing in this story. (I actually ended up using New Canaan as my "model" since it's a real New England town.)

* Back in my Calgary days, where all the X-MEN issues were drawn, my only reference was the Public Library, and you will not be surprised, I'm sure, to learn there was very little in the way of what I was looking for!

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Seeing the raw pencils is an added bonus. As a fan of your work and an artist myself, it's a real treat to see the line that you are laying down, rather than an inker's interpretation of what that line was meant to be. It seems, I dunno, a more pure form of your art."

Agreed.  I am so thankful to be seeing the pencils.  I was concerned, that if this was published, an inker, colorist, or both, would mess it up.  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's great seeing the characters look like themselves again! I also just realized while I read the latest page and thinking of the Sentinels, that the Days of Future Past storyline has not, and may not, happen in this new continuity! Interesting...
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Agreed. I am so thankful to be seeing the pencils. I was concerned, that if this was published, an inker, colorist, or both, would mess it up

•••

We used to say every job in the assembly process was a chance to screw it up. Pencils, script, lettering, color, editing. And there are even more steps now!

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version