Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 02 - Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

An ongoing "John Byrne Presents....The Marvel Universe" anthology webcomic featuring whatever falls out of your head that day, unconstrained by the 22 page format - that would be something! One month could be JSA/Invaders, the next could be "Doomwar"!

Edited by Jason K Fulton on 13 July 2019 at 6:44am
Back to Top profile | search

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It’s quite striking seeing half of Nightcrawlers face starkly lit by the monitor - no shadow at all! That’s one bright computer screen!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Never really understood how that particular manifestation of Kurt’s power(s) worked. Not sure Dave did, either. A standard “it looks cool”. Like Peter’s disappearing leggings. So I invoke the same “rule”. It looks cool!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Or something set in the past like The Invaders could be with all the cars, aircraft and clothing? One major thing about the original Dave Stevens Rocketeer for me was that aspect of it, he did so much period stuff including buildings, you actually learned from it. Earlier Marvel and DC of the '60s had so many generic suited men and sometimes bizarrely attired women (although I think Ditko did well in that area), and Superman comics always had some kind of Jetsons with headbands thing going on for the future or aliens. I usually John Byrne characters' clothing was real in that I could relate to it and it wasn't fantasy clothing, more JC Penney/Sears than Vogue. Kitty might even be K-Mart in this current #2 story. :^)

The perspectives in that last page (Page 8) are really amazing!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've mentioned this before but JB's page layouts are great lessons in dynamic storytelling. One of the many reasons i'm excited for more X-MEN ELSEWHEN pages.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Re: Kitty’s face in panel 4:

WOW!!!

Edited by Brian Miller on 15 July 2019 at 5:09am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Before anybody asks, btw, the "bubbly" nature of Kitty's thought balloons is merely an artifact of how I create them, and not an artistic choice.

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I know that the Sentinel's expression isn't / wouldn't change - but I like that it appears to be changing based on angle / eye movement. From run amok evil machine to "this lady is fighting back" to "what the hell just landed on my head!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Iron Man principle! When a mask is expressionless, everything depends on the angle of the head/face. Somewhat the same with Spider-Man, too.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Like Brian, Kitty's face in the fourth panel was particularly nice!

I showed a friend/customer these new pages and he thinks its the best work by JB he has seen. I've been spreading the word to my customers to check out the thread on this site.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Okay - I just found this site, mostly because of my dissatisfaction with the dark phoenix movie leading me to revisit the comic book story, and kinda "falling in love" with the Jean Grey character again (kinda like what most of the male X-men did over the years I suppose LOL). 

This, in turn made me seek out some "classic" John Byrne phoenix art, and lo and behold here I am...

Its been so long, I had almost forgot what a great layout artist you are, John.  Marvelous that you can share this retro look with the characters again, so much thanks for making it available to everyone! .  The art is just wonderful and fresh, and I'm looking forward to seeing more...

But Jean having the mind of a five year old is just heartbreaking (almost as terrible a fate as her actually dying IMO).  Here's hoping she'll recover as the story progresses...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have a long arc planned for Jean, culminating roughly around “issue” 12. About eight issues of subplot before that, woven into the major threads. Some of it harkens back, dimly, to what Chris and I had planned. The conclusion, tho, is all new.

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version