Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Doctor Who Remastered Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Although I haven't seen them all, I've largely been impressed by the remastered Star Trek: The Original Episodes. The improved special effects complement the original episodes rather than overpower them, and really do give the impression of what the episodes could have been like if the effects - and budget! - were available to them at the time.

So - what Classic Doctor Who stories would you like to see remastered? Let's try to stick to three (I bet I break my own rule, though!).

Alternately, would you not want Classic Who to be amended in any way? Is its occasional cheapness a part of its overall charm?

1) Invasion Of The Dinosaurs - I will quickly caveat this by saying I haven't seen this entirely, but the clips of the dinosaurs looked bloody awful! I understand the story itself is very well thought of, though.

2) Planet Of The Spiders - I largely like Pertwee's final outing (no, I haven't forgotten The Five Doctors) but the spiders could have been scarier.

3) Caves Of Androzani - Davison's final story is also seen as a classic, but the magma monster is laughably poor. I seem to remember watching this as a kid, and, even though I was a sensitive wee soul and did the whole "watching behind the sofa" bit, laughing out loud.
Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This may sound strange, but I could see "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" upgraded, but I wouldn't want it improved beyond the quality of The Land of the Lost. Otherwise it's a bit disconnected; they can pretend the miniatures crew was getting a bigger budget, but we aren't seeing a proportional increase in the costume/makeup/set budget. Take "The Ark in Space," which has redone special effects. No matter how much detail they show on the outside of the Ark, the inside is still that corridor with the frames suggesting a transparent tube around it and a view of space hung up beyond, and an actor being taken over by a glove.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

One man's "remastered" is another man's desecrated.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Indeed.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There was an option to play with updated effects on some classic Doctor Who stories on DVD. I know Kinda was one where instead of the original snake puppet you could see a CGI giant snake. I think Invasion Of The Dinos was another. I have it and could dig it out. K-klack!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

@JB (and Brian!):

Indeed, hence my caveat about Classic Who's charm being in its cheapness! I hated the colourisation of Laurel and Hardy or the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes' films, and let's not get into Lucas's endless tinkering with Star Wars...

However, I'd love to have the option, like ST:TOS to see the programmes, or some of them, in their original form AND with a touch of modern magic being applied.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Improved special effects. Hmmmm. We have a different understanding of that word I'm afraid.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There are a few famously jaw-dropping attempts at special effects: the pie plate in "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", the dinosaurs in "Invasion of", the snake in "Kinda". I can see the thought of replacing them to avoid taking some new Who fan out of the story. Then there are changes that seem to be made because Star Wars and Star Trek made changes. I found some screen grabs I'd made, I think this is "Terminus". (There's a longer shot of Nyssa looking at the viewscreen.)

Was this ship necessary?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's all too much like the computer coloring that has taken over comics. In the right hands, some pretty cool stuff. In the wrong hands, with a "because we can" attitude, and we get lens flares everywhere, and black lines knocked out in color.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2019 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hate black lines knocked  out in colour unless itís a projection or something. 

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Pertwee set is worth it for the extras they've added.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version