Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Oh for Pete’s Sake!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Of course, the whole idea behind the wretched biological web shooters was to be more “realistic”. Spiders famously spraying webbing from the ends of their legs.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How traumatized would a bunch of teenagers actually be?
-----------------------------------
Well, if half the world's population disappeared, and society appeared to grind down to the extent we saw in Endgame, with cars abandoned at the sides of the roads and not towed away even though five years have passed, I'm imagining that the infrastructure would not be able to cope remotely with the population doubling instantly. The reappearance of billions would be devastating. Power shortages. Food shortages. Water shortages. Sewage overload. If I'm a teenager and the world (from my perspective) instantly goes to shit and half my peers are no longer my peers, I'd be traumatized.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hate Hollywood.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That's the downward trajectory of the MCU, it seems--they started out doing reasonably superheroic stories, but now the train is out of control, and they're branching out into a bunch of different subgenres and tonalities which don't mesh organically with the source material.

Within the span of ENDGAME, you have the world dealing with a Rapture-like loss of half the population...and then you have the despressed Thor shown as a fat loser who's the butt of numerous jokes. It's a schizophrenic mix of trying to be dramatic and serious and dark...but also being wacky and making lots of dumb jokes designed to please the largest number of audience members. Like Fat Thor and "Petey tingle".

As noted elsewhere, I was uneasy with the "eye for an eye" vibe of ENDGAME. It's depicted as a heroic moment when Stark snaps Thanos and his cronies out of existence after the heroes succeed in bringing everyone back (...but five years later). And someone in my screening cheered "GOOD!" when Thor beheaded the Thanos of the original timeline.

To go from the somber tone of ENDGAME to the comedy of FAR FROM HOME (which I don't plan on seeing) seems more than a bit incongruous. The biggest event in human history is handwaved and made into jokes about age differences and whatnot?

The MCU has been criticized for being formulaic, but now it seems that they're diving into comedy which seems tonally inappropriate. And, more importantly, they're starting to trowel in the sort of identity politics which are killing so many other franchises. Not a good sign.

The Raimi movies are far from perfect, but you can at least squint an see a resemblance to Spider-Man and his world. These new films get certain elements more right than Raimi did, but so many other elements are way off.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Over my years at cons many fans told me their ideas for Marvel—and I think a lot of those fans must be running Hollywood now.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Avengers 3 and 4 should have both taken place over a course of a few days to a couple of weeks at the most. The whole 5 year time skip in Endgame was a bad idea, IMO.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here are the writers lame and arrogant explanation for why they renamed his Spider Sense his "Peter Tingle".

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-why-far-from-home-changed-spi der-sense/#leave-comment

Edited by Rick Whiting on 05 July 2019 at 3:51pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
How would you feel if you got knocked out and woke up thinking only seconds passed, only to find out it's been 5 years?

It's a little different than that, since half the world got knocked out, too. The blipped returned to a world where the calendar flipped, but at least half the population blipped into the same position. (The blipped who unblipped possibly outnumber the survivors, considering the immediate aftermath.) Based on what we saw, it was far worse for the ones left unblipped. (Like Martin Starr's poor science teacher.)

Somebody like Peter, who's immediate family and closest peers  blipped, is going to have an easier time of it than somebody who blips back to find his whole family died in intervening years.

Plus, FFH showed some clear intentional mitigation, such as programs for the homeless and displaced, and students repeating blipped school years. Did we need another therapy group?

And, it's not like the blipped died violently. The Infinity Gauntlet comic sank Japan on top of the genocide, and as far as any of the comics showed nobody needed therapy to get over that.

You're faulting a high school comedy for focusing on the Blip being a weird and disorienting hassle for these teenagers instead of a meditation on genocide more appropriately named The Sorrow and The Blipped.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

LOT of kool-aid being drunk around here.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
the downward trajectory of the MCU...

HAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

QUOTE:
To go from the somber tone of ENDGAME to the comedy of FAR FROM HOME (which I don't plan on seeing) seems more than a bit incongruous.

Just like the incongruity of going from Ragnarok's Flash Gordon sci fi to Black Panther's afro-futurism to Infinity War's downbeat cliffhanger to Ant Man & The Wasp's light-hearted caper. What you're lamenting is Marvel's business model, something everybody else in the world recognizes as a strength, and how they made $4 billion and counting in 2019.

QUOTE:
And, more importantly, they're starting to trowel in the sort of identity politics which are killing so many other franchises.

What a contemptible, pathetic, and tired statement. It's not just squalid and incorrect, it sucks the enjoyment out of what had been a fun conversation about Spider-Man. For somebody who complains about politics being inserted into everything, you sure have a habit of inserting politics into everything.

Edited by David Miller on 05 July 2019 at 5:08pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is how “Marvel Zombie” became a badge worn with pride.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version