I had that toy and it was amazing! Was the toy released
in 1979? I had to have gotten mine in more like 1984 or
1985 so there must have been a re-release of it or
something.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just finished my 40th Anniversary viewing. It sure does hold up well.

Now Im going to sit in a corner and weep. 40 years!!!!!!

Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm pretty sure I saw Alien on the first day of release. I would have been 13 at the time, but my father brought me anyway. As a kid who had spent the last two years working on the assumption that Star Wars was the final word in filmmaking, I was stunned.

It remains to this day my #1 favorite film of all time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure of what movie I was seeing on ALIEN's wide opening weekend... THE MUPPET MOVIE!)

Watched ALIEN last month with the Ridley Scott commentary, and will see the re-release this October, but this thread (and anniversary) has got me in the mood again, so I'm watching all the behind-the-scenes features on the 2-disc special edition DVD... I'll be watching these all night long.

(And writer Dan O'Bannon was such a great, wonderfully crotchety interviewee!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Realized as I was putting it back on the A shelf that the DVD I watched was the 20th Anniversary edition!!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"There are more things under heaven and earth Horatio than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

I just watched the 1979 Theatrical Version in widescreen with the commentary track (DVD set says 2003 on it) which I hadn't listened to before. Ridley Scott, Dan O'Bannon, Rawlings, Shusett, plus all the actors but for Ian Holm and Yaphet Kotto! Certainly one of the better commentaries. I noticed maybe for the first time that Brian Johnson worked on this who worked on 2001, Empire Strikes Back, and a number of Gerry Anderson shows. He'll be at the Anderson convention in England in September.

http://fanderson.org.uk/gerryandersonnews/2018/09/superceleb ration-gerry-and-sylvia-anderson-convention/

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 June 2019 at 7:42pm

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I was 8 years old when it came out, and there was no way my parents would ever have let me see it - I was scared of rubbery Doctor Who monsters, much less the more convincing xenomorph! All I can recall is that a neighbor of ours had a videotape player (I think it was betamax) and I saw the Alien box sitting on top of their machine some time in 1980, but never got them to play it for me. I didn't know much about the movie anyway, except obviously that it involved an alien, in space, and there was screaming.

Which made it perfect when, I think around 1983, at 12 years of age, I finally saw it on TV, late at night, alone. My parents were out for the evening, I was supposed to be asleep, but I got up, turned on the TV and was simultaneously entranced and horrified by this movie.

It was the first movie I saw that portrayed space in an unglamorous and realistic manner. It built the tension up perfectly with a lengthy landing/expedition sequence. The big reveal about Ash was a genuine surprise. The fact that we never see more than brief glimpses of the alien creature - and what we do see was disturbingly "alien" - gave me nightmares for weeks!

I've watched it, along with the sequels, many times on DVD, BD and ten years ago at its last anniversary screening on the big screen. But it will never have the impact it did before Aliens came out and demystified the xenomorph to a degree, back when just one alien was a near-unstoppable killing machine.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can only imagine parents at the time thinking, "What the hell is that???" Surely the single most disturbing toy in stores that year!

Another note on that:

A few years ago Hallmark began selling Xmas ornaments of the xenomorph. When I picked one up, I said to the girl at the register "Remember when Hallmark ornaments were all about Mickey Mouse? Now they're about things that eat your brains."

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Coincidentally I just picked up the ALIEN poster at
Heroes con last weekend to fill this wall:

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

(Fun display, Joe!)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

On this last re-watch I became aware one element that could date Alien; the cigarette smoking!

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just remembered something that (almost) gave me the same feeling that Alien did when I first saw it - the PC game Alien Isolation, which came out back in 2014. They got most of the original cast back to do the voices, the atmosphere is close to that of the original movie, and the sense of panic and fear is thoroughly palpable when you're playing - you literally spend three quarters of your time hiding from the one alien (here's a sample). If you have a PC, get it!

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 24 June 2019 at 8:39am

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version