Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: R.I.P The Second Doctor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No, not Troughton himself - but today was the fiftieth anniversary of the final episode of The War Games and the final (regular) appearance of the Second Doctor.

It's odd, but, as a kid, I didn't care for the Second Doctor for the stupid reason that I hadn't seen any of his episodes! They were rarely repeated on British telly, and, of course, so many were wiped. Having watched The Invasion, The Mind Robber and The War Games, I've grown to really enjoy him, and I can understand why Matt Smith - probably my own favourite of the NuWho Doctors - has said that Troughton is his favourite Doctor.

The final episode of The War Games gave us the Time Lords - and didn't they change pretty rapidly? When first encountered, they're godlike entities possessed of vast power, and who the Doctor is terrified of; in The Three Doctors, they need the Doctor(s) help; and by the time of The Deadly Assassin, they've degenerated into a bunch of power-hungry incompetents - and it's pretty much the latter impression that's stuck.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I expected to find a ten part b&w story like War Games tedious, and so it was one of the last of the Troughton stories I got around to checking out. It was great! I guess the director and actors have a large part in that. I've even watched the whole thing a second time after a few years. It is too bad some of the best Troughton is missing presumed wiped, like The Evil Of The Daleks set in Victorian England. The one surviving episode is painful in you can imagine how good the following parts must've been. Luckily we have what we have. Not my absolute favorite era but definitely up there, and without it there'd have been no more beyond William Hartnell (and Peter Cushing)...

The Tomb Of The Cybermen, The Web Of Fear, and The Seeds Of Death are my three favorite Troughton stories.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 June 2019 at 7:28pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 2:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sadly, I've only seen The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, and the animated reconstruction of The Power Of The Daleks.

Never have seen The Two Doctors.

I've seen a small amount of clips, including the end of The War Games.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I remember watching The Two Doctors when it was originally broadcast, and my little brain itching like mad trying to understand it!

It's such a shame that so many of Troughton's serials have been wiped. Still, if The Enemy Of The World could be rediscovered, perhaps there's a faint hope that more episodes may pop up. I'd love to see The Power Of The Daleks, and a complete The Evil Of The Daleks.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version