Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: OT: The Moon Landing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bizarrely, in First Men in the Moon (1964) they wear helmets and what looks like a pressure suit while walking on the Moon - but they don't have any gloves on!

Also, for those of you who are computer-nerd types like me, you can interact with this Apollo 11 Guidance Computer Simulator in any browser (even mobiles).

This is the same model computer that gave the infamous 1201 and 1202 Program Alarms just prior to Neil and Buzz landing on the Moon. The alarms turned out to be a warning from the guidance computer that it was basically dropping less important data to allow the main task to complete.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is pretty cool. Early concept designs from North American Aviation for Apollo Landers.  Dramatically different from what eventually flew, and (as you'd expect from a contractor making a bid) very detailed.  VERY high-resolution scans of engineering drawings made the old-fashioned way. I find them quite pleasing just as artwork.
Link
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

BBC has an great series of podcasts called "13 MINUTES TO THE MOON"  which I encourage you all to check out. The name comes from the 13 minutes from the command module to the lunar surface. It's packed with lots of interesting content and interviews of many of the people involved in the Apollo program and gives a better appreciation of what a great (and expensive at 25 billion dollars!) achievement it was. A great companion piece to this is the thrilling documentary "APOLLO 11", which I also highly recommend. 

My two young daughters have been avid listeners to the BBC podcast and also watched Apollo 11 and are now moon landing enthusiasts . They actually recognized a photo of the Apollo 11 astronauts at my mother's house. 

The photo belongs to my big sister. As a child she listed to the moon landing live on radio ("Voice of America") at 2:00 am here. In the broadcast they announced that you can write in for a photo of the astronauts and a recording of the actual landing. She thought that this was only for people living in America, but wrote in anyway. She was greatly surprised to receive the photo and recording  in the mail some time after and the photo remained on the wall ever since! She has kindly agreed to let my daughters have it for their room!

That "hoax" certainly has legs. 

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

...25 billion dollars...

•••

Or roughly what the Pentagon spends every 100 days.

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thankfully don’t know any moon landing deniers.  If I did I would want to know why the US would bother to fake the mission 7 times and make one of those a fake failure??? Wouldn’t one successful fake mission accrue all the glory without needing to multiply the cover up 7 times over? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Easy!! Had to keep doing it to prevent people doubting the first one. And faked 13 because civilians were beginning to lose interest.

(Hey, I do this for a living!)

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I wouldn’t have called it one of your stronger plots! ;-D

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The moon landing fakers were too on the nose by having 13 be the failed moon mission.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was 13 months old - my father woke me up and had me the landing with him!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Mitch Denoyer wrote:
If I did I would want to know why the US would bother to fake the mission 7 times and make one of those a fake failure???

I believe a popular point of view among the deniers is that the first one (Apollo 11) had to be faked because "NASA didn't actually have the tech to land on the Moon" as of 1969 - so they faked it to beat the Russians. Subsequent missions may or may not be perceived as fake too depending on what particular weirdo you talk to.

E.g., from this Guardian article:

QUOTE:
Kaysing maintained that the whole thing was a fraud, filmed in a TV studio. “It’s well documented that NASA was often badly managed and had poor quality control,” he told Wired in 1994. “But as of 1969, we could suddenly perform manned flight upon manned flight? With complete success? It’s just against all statistical odds.”

/EDIT: I've also heard some people refer to Apollo 13 a fake crisis, manufactured entirely to re-ignite interest in the space program.

Ultimately, you can't argue with stupid.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 15 July 2019 at 7:27pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That Apollo XIII’s disaster was faked did occur to me at the time.

Didn’t become married to it, tho.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's probably the most intuitively plausible of these conspiracy theories, and I too would have been skeptical when it happened, because it seemed almost perfectly timed. Indeed some of it has been later exaggerated for effect. Jim Lovell, commander of Apollo 13, has mentioned in interviews that the crew bickering/drama in the movie Apollo 13 for example wasn't accurate.

Side note: I'm glad that the movie The Martian came along and once again portrayed astronauts (well at least Damon's character) as steady, professional scientists, as opposed to the woeful Gravity (a.k.a. Nervous Breakdown in Space) for example which tries to "ground" these exceptional people by making them emotional and incompetent!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version