Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: OT: The Moon Landing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Moon landing deniers and flat earthers are at least harmless. Anti-vaxxers are actually dangerous.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I used to frequent James Randi's website long ago. I was first exposed to him when I was a kid watching him offer up cash to anyone that could prove paranormal activity. Nobody ever won anything because telekinesis or any pseudoscience claim ever stood up to double blind testing. Randi was also a former magician so he was quite versed with how many of the tricks were performed. He has always been a skeptic and advocated for such. If you had told me 20 years ago that the collective intelligence of man would be in a nose dive by 2019 I would have laughed. But it does seem like there are an awful lot of extremely stupid people in power or making idiotic claims. Allowing belief to stand as important as fact is a recent and debilitating change in the world. I used to consider faith, religion and any ill informed view as part of the landscape and easy to ignore, but in the last 5-10 years I changed my thinking to view them as extremely dangerous. Watching that flat Earth documentary and seeing those believers prove their own belief wrong with their own experiments yet deny the evidence they created was eye opening.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The movie Idiocracy offers the best explanation:

QUOTE:
Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits... With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Every "Flat-Earther" that I've met was trolling.  They just love to see people get exasperated trying to prove them wrong.  I have one friend-of-a-friend, however, who really thinks Stanley Kubrick helped fake the moon landing, to the point where he refuses to watch Kubrick movies with the rest of us. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ever heard the one from moon landing fakers where they say the scene in You Only Live Twice was an attempt to let the cat out of the bag (of course followed up with a dose of Capricorn One for good measure)

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have read about a moon landing denier. He acknowledges that we sent a ship to the moon and robots (!) placed a flag. Humans though, THAT is crazy talk.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

highly recommend the Flat Earther documentary on Netflix, Behind the Curve. Flat Earthers perform a few tests to prove the Earth is flat. I will give you one guess what the test results were.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Saw this article on our local ABC news today. It provides an interesting take from a filmmaker's perspective on debunking the Moon hoax theories.

For example, the actual Moon walk footage was shot on a special STV (Slow Scan television) camera at 10 frames per second (fps). Conspiracy theorists say the low gravity look was done by slowing down the footage. You simply can't do that using video that is already shot at 10fps maximum, because it becomes a literal slide show. So it would have to be shot on 24fps film and slowed to 10fps to simulate the STV footage.

But if the footage was shot on film then:

QUOTE:
...you would need six and a half reels of 35mm film, [which] would then need to be put together. The splicing joins, transfer of negatives and printing — and potentially grains, specks of dust, hairs or scratches — would instantly give the game away. There are none of these artefacts present.

I doubt the hardcore conspiracy theorists will accept this sort of logic, but I did find it an interesting addition to the arsenal of facts refuting the nonsense that is the Moon hoax theory.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have a friend who is a Moon landing denier.

He posts threads about it on his wall regularly. It
annoys me to no end.

Hopefully, a video like this one will influence him a
bit...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Every "Flat-Earther" that I've met was trolling.  They just love to see people get exasperated trying to prove them wrong.  I have one friend-of-a-friend, however, who really thinks Stanley Kubrick helped fake the moon landing, to the point where he refuses to watch Kubrick movies with the rest of us. 

Kubrick himself was a master troll too... XD

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If anyone wants some idea of what it was like to ride Apollo 11's Eagle down to the surface, here is an annotated video from the start of powered descent to landing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONIax0_1ec

That first time was a bit twitchy compared to later landings, but Armstrong and Aldrin were cool customers.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One of the more idiotic elements of the folding of Kubrick into this nonsense is that the portrayal of the Moon in 2001 is NOT very accurate   Streets ahead of the dry riverbeds of DESTINATION MOON, or the sandboxes of THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON, but still only a best guess. Most notably absent is the lunar gravity, which was a deliberate choice.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version