Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Spielberg remakes WEST SIDE STORY Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I like *some* musicals, but I am not a fan of WEST SIDE STORY, so I won't be watching the remake unless Heidi `forces' me. (Doubt it.)

As long as they don't attempt to remake BRIGADOON or GUYS & DOLLS, I'm good.

(I like a few other musicals, i.e. THE MUSIC MAN and SOUTH PACIFIC, but remakes of them wouldn't irritate me as much.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

GUYS AND DOLLS

•••

One I “saw on the boat,” so much nostalgia placing it in my top four or five, along with THE PAJAMA GAME and 1776.

As I mentioned recently, SILK STOCKINGS was high on the list for many, many years, but a recent viewing of Garbo’s original NINOTCHKA has knocked it down.

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I, for one, scoffed at the original WEST SIDE STORY for years.  Finally saw it during a big screen re-release in '98 or '99 and was instantly won over within the first 5 minutes.  One of my all-time favorite movie musicals, if not the favorite.

Interested to see what Spielberg comes up with, but there's no way it can override the original.  

Edited by Shaun Barry on 21 June 2019 at 4:21pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote: "I like a few other musicals, i.e. THE MUSIC MAN and SOUTH PACIFIC, but remakes of them wouldn't irritate me as much."

That's good to hear, since both of these have been remade; SOUTH PACIFIC with Glenn Close and Harry Conick Jr. in 2001 and THE MUSIC MAN with Matthew Broderick in 2003. 

GUYS & DOLLS is currently in development at Tri-Star, apparently, and BRIGADOON was remade for TV back in 1966 with Robert Goulet and Peter Falk.

Edited by Brian Hague on 21 June 2019 at 4:46pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I am a massive fan of West Side Story. The score is phenomenal. The acting is fantastic. The staging, breathtaking. For me, one of the best films of the 60s (and it amazes me how versatile Robert Wise was as a director -- in between West Side Story and The Sound of Music you have the Haunting, and then not long after you have The Andromeda Strain -- incredible).

Nobody blocks a scene like Spielberg though. I can't think of anyone as gifted in the visual language of cinema as him. When I try to think of films that come close to matching that intuitive verve of shot usage, interestingly, the ones that come to mind are Lawrence of Arabia and West Side Story.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd also throw this out there: far and away my favourite scene in Temple of Doom is the opening musical number.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I, too, am a fan of WEST SIDE STORY.  Don't know if I'm a big enough fan to see Spielberg's version in the theatre, but I'll definitely catch it.  The music is iconic and if you like dance (which I don't always do, but WSS hit all the right notes) then this is the musical to see.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On his brief variety show John Leguizamo did a sketch that had the "gangs" from WSS confronting modern Puerto Rican delinquents in a back alley. Silk shirts vs hoodies. Dance moves vs automatic pistols.

And then the cats from CATS show up...

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

TANGENT: Brian H., we do not mention the Matthew Broderick travesty that was "The Music Man" in the Sofer household. I literally could not watch it five minutes past "Iowa Stubborn"... I was that disgustipated..

It had Victor Garber as Mayor Shinn to salvage it (as I feel that Victor Garber could act his way out of a safe buried in a swimming pool filled with cement... he's a hot actor.) 

But Matthew Broderick was an androgynous albino compared to Robert Preston. Is that an unfair comparison? I don't think so. They both played the part, so there's room to compare. As always, YMMV.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote: "I like a few other musicals, i.e. THE MUSIC MAN and SOUTH PACIFIC, but remakes of them wouldn't irritate me as much."

That's good to hear, since both of these have been remade; SOUTH PACIFIC with Glenn Close and Harry Conick Jr. in 2001 and THE MUSIC MAN with Matthew Broderick in 2003. 

GUYS & DOLLS is currently in development at Tri-Star, apparently, and BRIGADOON was remade for TV back in 1966 with Robert Goulet and Peter Falk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ugh. I tried to forget about SOUTH PACIFIC and THE MUSIC MAN being remade. Have not seen either remake, nor do I plan to. Matthew Broderick was okay in the remake of THE PRODUCERS, but him doing THE MUSIC MAN just makes me cringe.

That BRIGADOON casting is just plain sad!

Did not know about the plan to remake GUYS & DOLLS, but I hope it falls through. I can't think of any casting that would a. be reasonable. and b. compare to the original. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 22 June 2019 at 10:20am

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'll admit I thought it would have humans and humanoid aliens when I saw Spielberg's name on it. 

I wonder if there are other musicals that are suited to Spielberg without remaking a classic?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version