Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Gay Wedding Cake Case Pt. 2 - Supreme Court Punts AGAIN! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If I understood correctly, the baker had no trouble baking that couple a cake, he just does not want to make a gay wedding cake
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
I've heard this before, but it doesn't seem accurate to me. As I understand it, it was more along the lines of, I don't want to make you a custom wedding cake. Oh, and we only do custom wedding cakes. Oh, and by the way, you are an abomination.

Their argument was that any cake they produced would have been a custom work of art that inevitably would have expressed a message of celebration for same-sex marriage.

The issue is contentious and I can see how you can argue both sides. But let's not pretend that they offered to bake them a cake, just not a wedding cake, because they didn't. They quoted Leviticus to one of the bride's mother, saying that a man lying with a man is an abomination (this was for a prospective lesbian couple).

Edited by Peter Martin on 18 June 2019 at 11:54am
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2019 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ha, I'm imagining Jack Kirby decorating a wedding cake! Wouldn't that be something to see though?

I had all kinds of time yesterday, but not today. No time for people arguing on behalf of someone they've called an asshole (something I don't even think about the cake man). It's all about proportions, about someone else's wedding, and making and selling cakes after opening a business to do that, but these two who walked in expecting to be able to get a wedding cake astonishingly enough, those two he can't bring himself to allow for. Art is everything, everything can be beautiful, or ugly in different proportions at different times depending on how you look at it, who you look at it as, who you imagine it for. This whole thing is really just some b.s. somebody cooked up, maybe as long as two thousand years ago, and it's going to stay half-baked I think, people just have to try and get along. Who didn't try? Whatever I dished out I received. You are gonna reap just what you sowed said Lou Reed. There are still people who sincerely believe blacks and whites should not marry, not evil but wrong, so you defend someone wrong for a principle of freedom to be wrong. I can understand it, yet also not understand.

Some kind of great cake I'm sure!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 June 2019 at 7:59pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jani Evinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Peter Martin 

I have read comments where the baker has said that he also has previously refused to decorate/make Halloween cakes and divorce cakes etc. And that he was willing to make them a cake, but not with the decorations that the couple asked for. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

From what I have read, that's not true. They never got into details of what decorations they wanted (only one of the couple ever entered the bakery; she went with her mother), because things came to an end at the stage of him taking their details down. The baker asked for the name of the bride and groom. When they said there were two brides, he said we don't do same sex weddings.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You can read quite a lot of the details here: LINK

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version